red diesel

billywilliams

Visit site
anyone purchasing red diesel in cans from our local marina now has to supply their personal details and declare what the fuel is intended for. As an occasional berth user I am exempt this requirement as the company already has my details on their computer. (Data Protection?) This direction has apparently been issued by HM Customs & Excise with the intention of making checks to ensure the red juice is not used in inappropriate circumstances! Is this a nationwide wheeze by the revenuemen or perhaps just a local initiative?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan

Visit site
Last time I bought fuuel (just a pair of jerry cans to top off the tanks) about 2 months back I wasn't asked for anything, (this was at Starcross garage in Devon.

Course I showed uop in a petrol driven Civic and bought petrol for it too. If I had shown up with a diesel landrover, we might have been asked I guess

<hr width=100% size=1>

Johnjo

Visit site
Down here in Cornwall they have started knocking on the doors of owners of Diesol cars.

Apparently they have a list from the Vehicle licencing people and are visiting the homes
on the list.

We've come to dip your tank sir!
And yes they have visited me and no they did not find any cherryade in the tank.

Suppose if your car is unlicenced you are safe enough!....... or possiby not.

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I've always wondered about running the lawnmowers on red out of principle - why should I pay anything to do with the roads on kit that isnt taxed for road use. And then I remember that it probably isnt worth the hassle for 50 odd gallons a year....

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I don't know! But as I say it;s the priciple!

As I said I do realise that it isnt worth the hassle. But I pay plenty on road licensed cars - whys should the tractor contribute to the funds which are collected to maintain the roads and then frittered away on something else? See - we have the same issues here as you do on the Mainland...

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site
50 gallons a year must be quite a big lawn ... think my little postage stamp could be cut with about 0.1 gallon/year, not that I'd use a diesel mower for it.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
I wouldnt classify it as lawn in general (although there is a bit of that). If I could get planning permsiion I gladly resurface the bulk of it with something I could scrub once a year!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
you should already be able to run on red, like a farmer who uses it in his tractor on his land, I don't see the problem here!

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk/TC_minicruise_2003_01.html>Cardigan Bay Cruise</A>

poggy

Visit site
I read a note on our local pontoon fueling station that stated that all sales over a certain value (can't remember how much) had to be recorded with the purchasers name, boat name address etc.
I bought a bit for my boat tank and filled a can and have never been asked for any details.

Poggy

<hr width=100% size=1>

AOWYN

www.clinksystems.com
excise men in Cornwall

As Customs and Excise are abandaning their customs house in Falmouth and intend to have no more coastal stations it is good to know that they have got some really useful work to fill their time, (that is assuming that they have any time left after most of them have been stationed in Kent arresting innocent people bringing back booze from Calais).

Great priorites our public servants have in this country.

<hr width=100% size=1>

boatmad2

Visit site
I have heard that plans are to abolish red diesel to bring us in line with europe.
Users of tax free things like forklifts will have to use white diesel and then claim the tax element back. If this is true I bet they only allow VAT registered people to reclaim the tax, this will leave us boaters with a 300% rise in fuel costs.

<hr width=100% size=1>

foxgoose

Visit site
I've got an old Land Rover which is road taxed but mainly used for forestry work in my wood.

I've been told that agricultural contractors can use red diesel when travelling to a work site but have to use white if they transport produce away from the site.

Does this mean I can use red when working in the wood as long as I fill up with white when roadgoing in the same vehicle - and what would the revenue fascistii do if they found me with slightly pink stuff in the tank?

<hr width=100% size=1>

maris

Visit site
Im not exactly sure how the law stands on using red in a vehcle with normal road tax on private land. I think you would have to prove that you were'nt going to use it on the highway, which might be a bit dificult if it's street legal. Pink is not legal. So this would mean draining the fuel system completely not forgeting the fuel filter, which would need changed. If the vehcle has no tax, and on private land no problem. But this means it would be illegal to use it or park it on the highway. Tractors, diggers and the like can use red on the road, if they are road legal. It would be worth looking into using agricultural road tax on your landrover. I think you are then ok to do very limited milage on the highway. It may only be crossing the road to get from one part of your ground to another.
Hopefully someone working with the customs and exise and visiting this site can explain how the law stands on this matter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
I have heard something like the tractor can do six miles on the road from its place of storage to field using red. Anything after that then full rip off tax diesel must be used, which is good as all that extra revenue goes to keep our roads in good condition, doesn't it?

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk/TC_minicruise_2003_01.html>Cardigan Bay Cruise</A>

burgundyben

Visit site
I bort 70 gallons of red last weekend and they never took my name and address, not that I am doing anything untoward with red diesel.

<hr width=100% size=1>Sod the Healey - I think I'll buy an E-Type.

BrendanS

Visit site
It seems to be crawling in through the Solent area...and others...Lymington started a registered scheme last year. This year Weymouth started taking info.

If you do a search back through posts over the last year, you can see it spreading.

<hr width=100% size=1>Err, let me know if Depsol enters the forum, I'll go and hide