red diesel tax

meldrum

Visit site
whilst any new tax is anethema to any one, on a selfish note wouldnt it mean a return to the days of sailing not motoring and anchorages empty of those not prepared or capable of doing so

Whitelighter

Visit site
I think this is a memeber of the sailing fraternity who does not count us motorboaters amongst his friends.

Not that I needed and excuse, but attittudes like his just encourage me to use the boat more and more. Why revel in other displeasure, you nasty little toad...

adrianm

Visit site
It's people with attitudes like him that caused this tax hike. If we had presented a united front like the aviators this wouldn't have happened.

Just love the way he makes a sweeping statement that implies all motorboaters don't know how to anchor.

Tugw

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
a return to the days of sailing not motoring and anchorages empty of those not prepared or capable of doing so

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like lifeboats and rescue craft?

shame you dont give your boat name and location?

maybe your not capable of doing so.

wotayottie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's people with attitudes like him that caused this tax hike. If we had presented a united front like the aviators this wouldn't have happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - its not a funny post, and I'm a raggie. But I dont think the "united front" bit would have made the slightest difference. We were always going to be forced into the EU tax straightjacket - the original deal was only a temporary concession. And how can you justify tax on road transport diesel on which we depend, and not on someone's yacht?

adrianm

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I agree - its not a funny post, and I'm a raggie. But I dont think the "united front" bit would have made the slightest difference. We were always going to be forced into the EU tax straightjacket - the original deal was only a temporary concession. And how can you justify tax on road transport diesel on which we depend, and not on someone's yacht?

[/ QUOTE ]

So why do aviators have ultra-cheap fuel for pleasure then? I'm pretty sure it's all made from oil you know.

I have no problem with there being a tax for marine diesel for pleasure use. It's the amount of it I have a problem with.

fireball

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with there being a tax for marine diesel for pleasure use.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with any tax imposed that I can see provides a benefit to the country ... this tax doesn't ...
This (and every) government are obsessed by tax and how much money they can take from the population with no due regard to efficiencies within it's own organisation.

Nickcf

Visit site
[/ QUOTE ] And how can you justify tax on road transport diesel on which we depend, and not on someone's yacht?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply! The fuel tax for road vehicles is supposed to pay for the road building and maintenance which, of course, they use. Boats don't....

TrueBlue

Visit site
At last,

[ QUOTE ]

Simply! The fuel tax for road vehicles is supposed to pay for the road building and maintenance which, of course, they use. Boats don't....

[/ QUOTE ]

some sense

Now wouldn't it be peachy if those fixing a single flat rate for all, made it 50:50. That way EU would be satisfied that the minimum tax amount was being paid, and the UK would not be breaking rules about multiple rates for the same fuel.

I'd be happy with that,the so called green boaters should be happy any no-one gets crucified in one hit.

Far too equable, so it won't happen.

I for one have not forgotten that HMCE (or was it the Treasury) said the tax was to be based on self declaration and no questions asked - by the seller.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Re: At last,

Worth adding into the mix the requirement that purchases of 100l or more require more paperwork than smaller quantities anyway, maybe 50l here and there is less likely to be suspicious.

For the record, how much fuel might a 5 series Ebb glop in a 24 hour period?

Chris_d

Visit site

I don't have an ebergobler because for most of the boating season I wouldn't need it, so if there is to be favourable split surely it will be seasonal? Say 80:20 in the winter and 20:80 in the summer if at all, the HMRC are not stupid are they.

Chris_d

Visit site

So I'm ok to claim domestic use for water heating then, sounds ok. But following that logic, petrol boats should be able to claim a split for domestic use?

TrueBlue

Visit site
so they should -

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm ok to claim domestic use for water heating then, sounds ok. But following that logic, petrol boats should be able to claim a split for domestic use?

[/ QUOTE ]

IF they ever had Red Petrol in the past, which of course they don't and didn't. Theoretically is should be possible to reclaim duty for no road use, but C&E (as they were) huffed and puffed, claimed evasion, anything to stop one's rights and strangled any attempts. Perhaps when all is done and dusted next year Petrol Mobos might care to claim unfair treatment and open up the issue again.