Recommendations for where to get coppercoat in the med or Caribbean?

nmeyrick

Visit site
I’m looking to get coppercoat applied to our boat, we had it on our old boat and were very happy with the results. We are currently in south of Spain for the winter and the quotes from Spanish yards are coming back out of our budget.

At the same time I know that coppercoat is very sensitive to correct surface preparation and application technique, so don’t want to make a false economy! We will be in the med next summer then crossing the Atlantic next winter, so can travel to most places within the med. if needed we could go for a conventional antifoul for one more year and coppercoat in the Caribbean but that would not be my first choice.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has had coppercoat applied in the med and been happy with the results, who was it done by and would you recommend them?

Thanks
Neil

Yngmar

Visit site
If the professional paintrollers are out of budget and you want to be sure it's done right, the obvious answer is doing it yourself. If you don't want to do the hard part, any yard can be hired for the nasty job of removing the old paint, then you swoop in with the stirsticks and paint rollers. It's not magic, as long as you have the two essential ingredients that cause so many Coppercoat applications to fail: reading the instructions and following them.

Worked for me anyways: Coppercoat Part 1 - The Scrapening

veshengro

Visit site
I hauled out in the yard across the river from Portimao Marina some years ago. I wanted to clean and anti foul before sailing for the Canaries, but I do remember that Portugese yard was very well run, clean and various services available on site. On a previous voyage I had been in the yard at Aguadulce in Spain, which I recall as a dust bowl and everything Manana!

nmeyrick

Visit site
Thanks all, any other suggestions?

I’ve had a recommendation from a local boat for yachtpaint.gr in prevesa - anyone have any experience of them?

dgadee

Visit site
Thanks all, any other suggestions?

I’ve had a recommendation from a local boat for yachtpaint.gr in prevesa - anyone have any experience of them?
Do they blast hulls? I am looking for someone to do that and U'll put the coating on. Coming out at Preveza for the winter.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I doubt you’ll get it cheaper in the Caribbean. Either Clarke’s Court and Grenada Marine (both in Grenada) will supply and paint the stuff on. As it happens ii was discussing this with Grenada Marine a few days ago. They said they’ve learned how to do it properly now… which sounds like a result of past mistakes!

It won’t be cheap.

Kelpie

Visit site
Clarke's Court will sell you Coppercoat for US$180 per pack. I hope they offer some sort of bulk discount for larger orders.
What's the going rate in the UK?

dgadee

Visit site
For my Seawolf 30 I wss told:

"Coppercoat is £95 per litre, so 8 litres is £760, the thinners is £30 per litre and delivery is £15 for this package. The total price including VAT is therefore £966."

Plans changed of course when storm Babet took the first 18" off the boat.

JFowler

Visit site
Very happy with Les.
He work for me 10 years ago, so may have retired. Last I heard he was around during the summer, but was selective about the work he took on.
He was also brillian with GRP.

dgadee

Visit site
Panos just said he'll give me a quote but I have to get permission from Ionion. Not sure why.

dgadee

Visit site
I think I saw what might have been Les's small trailer there on Monday. Putting a keel back on?

Birdseye

Visit site
I’m looking to get coppercoat applied to our boat, we had it on our old boat and were very happy with the results. We are currently in south of Spain for the winter and the quotes from Spanish yards are coming back out of our budget.

At the same time I know that coppercoat is very sensitive to correct surface preparation and application technique, so don’t want to make a false economy! We will be in the med next summer then crossing the Atlantic next winter, so can travel to most places within the med. if needed we could go for a conventional antifoul for one more year and coppercoat in the Caribbean but that would not be my first choice.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has had coppercoat applied in the med and been happy with the results, who was it done by and would you recommend them?

Thanks
Neil
Applying coppercoat is an easy DIY job. Yes you need to prepare the surface properly and yes you need ideally two people to apply and a spell of decent weather afterwards. Otherwise straightforward