Recommendations for new fixed radio

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
If you single hand then I consider a Remote Mic in the cockpit a must have. Trying to contact somebody on a wee 2 watt handheld with they are behind a wall or cowering in a portacabin with their wee 2 watt handheld when the rain is horizontal is not going to work.

dgadee

Visit site
If you single hand then I consider a Remote Mic in the cockpit a must have. Trying to contact somebody on a wee 2 watt handheld with they are behind a wall or cowering in a portacabin with their wee 2 watt handheld when the rain is horizontal is not going to work.
I found they kept on saying, "Can't make you out. Can you repeat." And, yes, the remote was at the stern behind the wheel and I was solo. It had seemed a good idea when it was on the boat at purchase.

It went very quickly on eBay, so we all have different views on the topic.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Daughter has Icom and we have Standard Horizon (with a command mic in the cockpit.) Both are fine. Neither has AIS. Adding the command mic would exceed your budget perhaps but it’ll work without it.
Us the same as you, the bride made a simple, velcro attached cover for the command mike, the old radio at the helm was useless because UV got to the screen

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
Remote mics are over rated. Just mount your radio close to the companionway!
That's a B&G V50. I don't like the look of the V60s so I would go for a Garmin if I was looking now.
Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 22.00.13.png

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Remote mics are over rated. Just mount your radio close to the companionway!
That's a B&G V50. I don't like the look of the V60s so I would go for a Garmin if I was looking
I think on smaller boats that can work well. On our current boat it’s a bit longer to get from helm to companionway around the wheel etc. our command mic is middle of the cockpit so whether you’re at the helm or sitting f’wd it’s accessible.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I think on smaller boats that can work well. On our current boat it’s a bit longer to get from helm to companionway around the wheel etc. our command mic is middle of the cockpit so whether you’re at the helm or sitting f’wd it’s accessible.
I think I’d wire my remote mic to the helm position, in spite of the drawback of wind noise. After all, you’re not usually hammering to windward when you call for a berth. But being able to hear other radio traffic is part of the plan, my handheld is monumentally crap for monitoring Ch16 no matter what.

Reactions: jac

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I think I’d wire my remote mic to the helm position, in spite of the drawback of wind noise. After all, you’re not usually hammering to windward when you call for a berth. But being able to hear other radio traffic is part of the plan, my handheld is monumentally crap for monitoring Ch16 no matter what.
Agreed. I probably wasn’t clear enough. Our command mic is very easily accessible for anyone who is hand steering.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Yes, our helm isn’t in the middle of the cockpit, fore and aft wise, being tiller steered. So we’d be able to hear at the back via the mic, and by the companionway from the set itself, assuming that the remote does’t something as stupid as turn off the set speaker when it’s connected😬