Recommendations for new fixed radio

PaulGS

Visit site
I'm going to be treating myself to a replacement fixed radio. It's not going to 'interface' with a lot of other electronics and I don't need AIS - so can people make any recommendations at that £200 - £250 price point? Even prior to the first few contributions I was set on Icon or SH for brand - but what features do users appreciate now having?

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
I have a fixed icom and an icom handheld . Simple an robust stuff
At your budget how about this?

1684219642153.png

oldgit

Visit site
..................unless poverty has the upper hand ICOM all the way down.
As an ex Icom dealer have to say their after sales service during our 40 odd years of selling/installing/ repairing in/out of warranty marine and other VHF equipment, was exemplary.
Lost count of the number of times other makes of equipment was bought in and the unfortunate owner was basically told no chance of getting that repaired but the importer might offer you some sort of fixed price swap on a refurb.
As for the cheapo nasty not worth repairing stuff...you pays your money etc etc.

jac

Visit site
If you're not interfacing then many of the "high end" features are probably redundant. The basic ones are probably standard across all makes and models now.

For me the key factor is the ability to monitor and use from the cockpit. As a minimum that means the capability to mount an external speaker but ideally a proper external command mic. Even if budget doesn't stretch just yet, make sure that the radio can take either of those and add the missing component when funds allow.

dgadee

Visit site
I have Standard Horizon. Internal GPS is very useful to link to Raspberry pi with OpenCPN. Happy with what I have.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I would recommend the Standard Horizon GX1850GPS, cost £257 incl VAT from Cactus with remote command mic back in 2018.

Bought to replace ICOM that did not have internal GPS (fault with old plotter meant that date and time was wrong). ICOM was good but I needed DSC feature.

Having the built in GPS antenna is great feature providing redundancy.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I hope it’s not too rude to piggy back here. I too am in the market for a fixed VHF. Though I am willing to be persuaded on AIS. I’d ideally like to use a pole mounted aerial, rather than masthead, unless, again, anyone can persuade me otherwise. If I don’t go AIS, then I would be going for one of the sets already recommended. A remote mic is a good idea, and given the location of the set in our boat, I might not need a speaker. Though I have a Fusion radio/media player and speakers in the cockpit, maybe I can use that when it’s mission critical to listen.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Another vote for Icom. Been using their gear since the early 1970s. You don't need a manual for day to day use unlike a lot of other brands where even the volume/squelch needs menu delving.

Boathook

Visit site
I hope it’s not too rude to piggy back here. I too am in the market for a fixed VHF. Though I am willing to be persuaded on AIS. I’d ideally like to use a pole mounted aerial, rather than masthead, unless, again, anyone can persuade me otherwise. If I don’t go AIS, then I would be going for one of the sets already recommended. A remote mic is a good idea, and given the location of the set in our boat, I might not need a speaker. Though I have a Fusion radio/media player and speakers in the cockpit, maybe I can use that when it’s mission critical to listen.
My main icom unit in the cabin has a command mic by the helm that has a speaker etc built in. Sound quality is most acceptable for such a small unit.

Edit.
Main unit is ic-m423 and command mic hm-195. Command mic was just plug in and use.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
My main icom unit in the cabin has a command mic by the helm that has a speaker etc built in. Sound quality is most acceptable for such a small unit.

Edit.
Main unit is ic-m423 and command mic hm-195. Command mic was just plug in and use.
I presume the mic ison a stretch coil cable. If I had 2 mounting clips, that woukd be job done. None of them seem to have audio out, just a speaker level cable. There are ways round that of course, but I rather dislike having any more connections on board than are strictly necessary.

Boathook

Visit site
I presume the mic ison a stretch coil cable. If I had 2 mounting clips, that woukd be job done. None of them seem to have audio out, just a speaker level cable. There are ways round that of course, but I rather dislike having any more connections on board than are strictly necessary.
The mic is on a coil cable but has its own socket by the helm. This is connected to the main unit by an 'extension lead' to the main radio. The main unit also has its own mic.
The command mic has its own speaker and has the same controls as the main unit.

dgadee

Visit site
I took a cockpit extension out. Wind noise made it pretty useless. I rely on a handheld when contacting a harbour.

harvey38

Visit site
+1 for Standard Horizon, I have an 1850E with RAM mike. Great audio quality, easy to use, a sensible menu layout and a reasonable price.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I took a cockpit extension out. Wind noise made it pretty useless. I rely on a handheld when contacting a harbour.
It’s all quiet under our sprayhood. Trying to make a radio call from the helmsmans seat whilst going upwind would be a joke. Hats are worn with great difficulty if the true wind has made it to double figures.