Recommendations for material for re-upholstery

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
The time has come to recover the bunks/seats in the saloon.

The boat is in Tunisia and I have a good local sailmaker who can do the job. I just need to choose and buy some suitable, practical, durable material. Can anybody recommend a product range or distributor in the UK?

Tranona

Visit site
I used a Sunbrella fabric. Very hard wearing. Kayospruce are a supplier in the UK, although I bought mine in Greece.

silver-fox

yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com
I have used Sunbrella for the cockpit seat cushions - and I know its very hard wearing and stain resistant etc.

But how suitable do you find it for inside? ....... I had always thought of it as an exterior fabric.

Tranona

Visit site
They have an enormous range of fabrics, of which the canvas type is only one. The type I used was for internal upholstery. Not fancy looking as the seats are plain, but chosen in part to blend in with the original Bavaria that is still in the cabins.

AndrewB

Visit site
Worth contacting Hawke House (http://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/). We've just replaced all our interior bunk covers, also head-linings, with materials and help from them. They supplied covers to our specification which we took out to Greece, also the materials and instructions for replacing head-linings which we've just completed. They also cut various grades of foam to order.

Not the cheapest, but very experienced with yacht applications, all the covers were a perfect fit. They carry probably the widest range of suitable materials, and provide loads of support (including courses!) for DIY jobs. Recommended.

Last edited:

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
We just went along to the local upholstery warehouse, which had an enormous range of cloth for covering soft furnishings. I took myself off to the car and read a book whilst SWMBO and my sister had a lovely time...... They bought some pretty standard looking stuff in a colour which more or less went with the original upholstery (so as not to clash with the cabins) and that's now in year three of living aboard, showing no signs of any problems. Has to be said that SWMBO did all the sewing and has vowed to pay someone next time......

rotrax

Visit site
Our boat has salon upholstery in Ultraleather.

It was new when we got the boat which had been heavily used in Florida since it was new by a retired couple. Only the salon cushions were changed, almost 7 years ago.

They are, apart from a small scratch caused be a dog scrabbling to climb onto the cushion, still like new.

We cruise four months each year and visit the boat frequently.

No idea what it costs, but worth a look.

Ultraleather is a factory option on Island Packet Yachts- so it will be durable in the long term.