Recommendations for learning to sail in Norfolk

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Thanks very much for the replies. Would love to take 6 months off but I'm involved in farming so could be a conflict of interests if I disappear off and leave the combine parked up in a corner. The aim is to hopefully get something like a Westerly Centaur or similar sized bilge keel to use with friends and family, just like to brush up on the basics first. Good comments about water temperature and re learning- a week in med might be a good option and keep the missus happy! Will look into club membership as well.

Great pictures John, believe they still operate those boats, ended up watching a youtube video on how to raise and lower the cabin/deck so I'm halfway there!
Another farmer sailor! I've always found that lambing, calving, and hay-making do get in the way of sailing.

There are many good suggestions here, but mine is to consider one of larger, stable dinghies (Wayfarer, GP14) that can sail the Broads, the rivers, and then out to sea when you have gained confidence. You can trail it behind the car or the Defender and store it on the farm, or keep it on a mooring or in the dinghy park at the sailing club. It could be a stepping-stone to a keeled yacht, or you might decide it's just what you need. Look up the Dinghy Cruising Association to learn more about small-boat cruising. I know there is a DCA East Coast group.

The Q

Visit site
A Yeoman can cost no more than a Wayfarer, be towed behind a large conventional car, seats up to 4.
Much more stable than a wayfarer.

ylop

Visit site
Is a yeoman not a keelboat? Would something with a lifting keel / centre board be better on the broads (kinsman?). If small boat leisurely trailer sailing is order of the day then actually a drascombe is a well proven formula.

MeavyHetal

Visit site
Another farmer sailor! I've always found that lambing, calving, and hay-making do get in the way of sailing.

There are many good suggestions here, but mine is to consider one of larger, stable dinghies (Wayfarer, GP14) that can sail the Broads, the rivers, and then out to sea when you have gained confidence. You can trail it behind the car or the Defender and store it on the farm, or keep it on a mooring or in the dinghy park at the sailing club. It could be a stepping-stone to a keeled yacht, or you might decide it's just what you need. Look up the Dinghy Cruising Association to learn more about small-boat cruising. I know there is a DCA East Coast group.
Farming can get in the way of most things, left the hay for tomorrow but still irrigators to move around! Was storing sister's wayfarer for a few years until sold, could have commandeered that! Thanks for the advice, think that's the approach I'll go for.
A Yeoman can cost no more than a Wayfarer, be towed behind a large conventional car, seats up to 4.
Much more stable than a wayfarer.
Made it to Horning today and was looked after very well and shown around. Got to see the boats coming back in at lunch time. Hopefully will make it up on a Thursday eve for a bit of an intro. Can't wait to go back. Thanks for pointing me in the club's direction.

Dukester52

Visit site
Apologies, haven’t read the whole of the thread! My wife and I learned to sail on the broads having never been on a yacht in our lives! Really enjoyed it… we used Anne Whelpton’s boat yard in Upton who also provided an instructor (we took levels 1 and 2 keelboat syllabus). I remember ghosting into Gay’s Staithe after one of our first sails, and a ‘proper’ sailor introducing himself and said he’d hired a motor boat since he could never sail on the broads… he was actually impressed with us novices! Tacking up narrow rivers… an amazing experience. We’re also Friends of the Hunters Fleet. Sea sailing these days, but will never forgot, and still love, Norfolk! Go for it!!

johnalison

Visit site
You mention the possibility of getting a Centaur for Broads use. It would be ideal in terms of size but might be less idea as a sailing boat in narrow waters. Sea boats are generally designed to be good at going in a straight line, which is something of a luxury on the Broads most of the time. I only sailed a Centaur once, for an hour or two, and it seemed typical of its type in this respect. Broads boats, such as my Summer Breeze, tend to have a strong weather helm and will turn on a sixpence, making them sometimes a strain but ideal for narrow rivers. On one holiday I managed to tack a 4-berth boat, one of the Lady class, complete with bowsprit up Meadow dike, admittedly with the aid of a pole and the boat’s mop, but we got along and it was fun at the time. I realise that the choice of craft nowadays is going to be limited, but you may find a large day-boat more suitable than a cruiser.