Recommendations for chemical anti-foul stripper

Stooriefit

Visit site
A couple of years ago I stripped two thirds of the hull using a scrapper. The remaining third was okay then but is now showing lots of crazing and is needing stripped back. Anyone able to recommend a chemical stripper?

savageseadog

Visit site
Caustic Soda solution with wallpaper paste. Needs to be a strong solution, I forget what strength I used but possibly about 200g/l. Take great care when using it!

DFL1010

Visit site
Might be worth checking with your yard to find out their thoughts - they may well have an opinion on what chemicals they want/don't want to be used.

VicS

Visit site
Owatrol "Marinestrip" or "Dilunett"

1642440156415.png 1642440224894.png as Vyv' s suggestion or DIY version as savageseadog suggests

earlybird

Visit site
I've tried both Interstrip and Dilunette. Interstrip was slightly the more effective but with both you finish up with lots of gooey, semi-adhesive material which sticks to clothing, shoes, tools and anything else it touches.
The cost with both is quite significant and AFAIR, Dilunette smells unpleasant. Give me the likes of a Bahco carbide scraper every time. Quicker, cleaner and a lot more pleasant, (or, perhaps, less unpleasant).

VicS

Visit site
The one on the right doesn't seem to feature the word "marine", which bodes well for the cost! Actually it seems to have a remarkably "Lidl-like" appearance:)
As far as one can tell from the safety data they are the same, at least contain the same concentration of caustic soda.
The manufacturers price is also the same but it may well be possible to find the non-marine Dilunett at a lower price on the DIY market.
Both images were copied from Owatrol's own website. Owatrol Direct | "The Professional's Choice"

IIRC the old Dilunett (I forget who made it) was renamed Marine Strip when Owatrol took it on. The new Dilunett has appeared on the DIY/decorating market more recently..

Last edited:

Stooriefit

Visit site
Thanks for all your views. I'll have a look at those products and work out the likely cost. May yet just go back to the scraper!

KAM

Visit site
Caustic Soda solution with wallpaper paste. Needs to be a strong solution, I forget what strength I used but possibly about 200g/l. Take great care when using it!
Same here. It worked as well if not better than the commercial mixes. Anything will do to thicken it. It gets quite warm when you mix it up. The trick seems to be to leave it long enough to soften but not so long that it dries out. Certainly better than dry scraping.

Ammonite

Visit site
Don't use it! It doesn't work very well and makes a horrible mess. Either scrape it off (a horrible job but it works) or pay someone who knows what they are doing to blast it off

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
And skin, given half a chance.
Caustic soda combines with fat to make soap. That's why it dissolves fingers!

As noted by @KAM, caustic soda generates heat when being dissolved. Add soda to water, not the other way round - or it could spit in your face!

Safe enough PROVIDED you take sensible precautions, but you do need to take precautions. I've had a flask full of reagents including caustic soda suddenly boil up in my face, and if I hadn't been wearing glasses, I might need a white stick! The frame of the glasses was never the same afterwards; I got my head under a tap quick enough to avoid burns, but it left me with a healthy suspicion of solutions of caustic soda.

donm

Visit site
A couple of years ago I stripped two thirds of the hull using a scrapper. The remaining third was okay then but is now showing lots of crazing and is needing stripped back. Anyone able to recommend a chemical stripper?
I used cellulose gun wash thinners and lots of rags and black rubbish bags.
Paint on about 1 square metre, leave for a few minutes and then wipe off the anti fouling which will have softened. More than one application if af is thick. Very simple but lots of ppe needed.
Boat is a Halmatic 30 so quite a large area but long keel means easy access! Took about a day and a half.

Lightwave395

Visit site
I tried to remove a several coats of antifoul by hand a few years ago, after several days and a few different brands of chemical stripper I gave up and got the hull blasted clean...
I still have a 5 litre pot of Premier in the garage as I don't really know how to get rid of it,