Recommendations for boat dog

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
I've gone and done it! We're picking up a working english springer spaniel dog puppy on friday. Visited today and saw puppy and parents who were lovely working dogs. I know I'm in for a couple of years hard work to get it trained properly! Puppies were born in November but owner did'nt advertise until now to avoid the Xmas present market, we underwent a thorough grilling about the home environment and our habits before they allowed us to visit. Will post photo on friday!

Congratulations! I hope your dog will be as happy on board as ours is.

IMG_2760-1.jpg

IMG_2725-1.jpg

onesea

Visit site
Sounds like sensible breeders... Training should not take that long doggy classes are good for the dog and sociability even if you don't think you need them.

My other thought is if true working dogs you can physically exercise them as much as you want, but you need to exercise there brains. Was certainly the case with my cockers.

Good luck, I hope he/she brings much happiness and one or 2 chewed shoes..

BruceDanforth

Visit site
I've gone and done it! We're picking up a working english springer spaniel dog puppy on friday. Visited today and saw puppy and parents who were lovely working dogs. I know I'm in for a couple of years hard work to get it trained properly! Puppies were born in November but owner did'nt advertise until now to avoid the Xmas present market, we underwent a thorough grilling about the home environment and our habits before they allowed us to visit. Will post photo on friday!

It's a good job it is a working one. It would have been boring on board if it was knackered.

Evadne

Visit site
We will be getting a dog, once SWMBO finishes work but I'm afraid that web site wasn't a good recommendation for me:

"Wheatens dig, and if left alone for too long in the backyard, they will tear up flower beds or dig under the fence in search of new adventure. Fences should be stuck deep into the ground and outdoor time should always be supervised.

Barking is also a problem with Wheatens. They make great watch dogs, alerting you that someone is approaching, but they are very quick to bark at every little sight and sound outside their window. Teaching your Wheaten to obey commands to stop barking can save the family's sanity."

A fine dog if you love them anyway, I surmise.
:)

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Patterdale Terriers. We have two that come sailing. They are shot puttable. We throw them onto the deck from the dinghy! Weight 10kg
They are as hard as nails and have no know ailments. They are extremely agile so no problem balancing on a boat. They love being in the RIB and standing on the front tubes. They are quick drying being short haired. They will run all day given the opportunity but are quiet on the boat when you need them to be.
They are a big dog personality in a small dogs body. They are a similar specification to a Jack Russell just a big bigger and more athletic

+1 We have a Patterdale/Border Cross who sailed with us the day after we got him at 8Weeks whilst sailing on the Clyde. Lovely dog, good fun, sheds hair for England, Scotland, Wales N.Ireland and a good bit of Southern Ireland as well but it would probably be better if we brushed him more. If he gets muddy it seems to disappear quickly or maybe just blends with his brown coat. Rarely barks (once a month or so or less) when he does we look to see what is up.

For some reason I can't post a picture, is there a picture size limit?

Some friends of ours have a Portugese Water Dog, lovely nature, not too big, does not shed.

Last edited:

Sybarite

Visit site
We will be getting a dog, once SWMBO finishes work but I'm afraid that web site wasn't a good recommendation for me:

"Wheatens dig, and if left alone for too long in the backyard, they will tear up flower beds or dig under the fence in search of new adventure. Fences should be stuck deep into the ground and outdoor time should always be supervised.

Barking is also a problem with Wheatens. They make great watch dogs, alerting you that someone is approaching, but they are very quick to bark at every little sight and sound outside their window. Teaching your Wheaten to obey commands to stop barking can save the family's sanity."

A fine dog if you love them anyway, I surmise.
:)

Thank you for that. Useful. SWMBo loved her Black Russian Terrier but wanted a smaller version for the next. The BRT was more than a year old before it barked for the first time.

robertj

Visit site
you're in for more than acouple of years of madness lol. Great dogs really fantastic!

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
jack russel

small, not smelly, quick drying, not prone to swimming for no good reason

D

Jack rissoles are horrible snarly things. We walk our dog every day on the hillside nearby. He has fun and plays with everything from Labradors to poodles to elkhounds to dobermans. If I see any of them I leave him off the lead.

On the other hand, I just know that one of those horrible jack things will attack him, even if he lies on his back and plays dead. Always happens. I hate the things. They all have short man syndrome.

This is the only dog acceptable on a boat.

They can sit on the sofa without crowding you out.
11c219682de0d0d05d2b939bf19d3d96.jpg

They always appreciate it when you cook sea bass.
8f303d17a0c247bd9fb30c8e00da1da0.jpg

They prevent intruders from getting below.
be8b9837cb32cfed69cc6204e5823e76.jpg

They are quite happy if their berth is just a sleeping bag.
e679dd81cbd552068c796423432e2983.jpg

They aren't too fussed if you fob them off with sunglasses from TK Max.
27b274e2edcd0f355c6ab370bbf8f07e.jpg

They are not ugly.
3cb96c6ec2439cc5f03b1239dae3db1d.jpg

They like the seaside.
87ad9d675d987f407a304873a49fa779.jpg

Last edited:

stav

Visit site
Thats a nice looking dog, we have just been discussing getting a cocker spaniel, I quite like the blue roan ones. Obviously more for the kids (complete lie) but I quite like the idea of having some company when sailing but do they really tolerate healing over and motion etc or can you only take them when it is family weather : mirror calm?

Ex-SolentBoy

Visit site
Thats a nice looking dog, we have just been discussing getting a cocker spaniel, I quite like the blue roan ones. Obviously more for the kids (complete lie) but I quite like the idea of having some company when sailing but do they really tolerate healing over and motion etc or can you only take them when it is family weather : mirror calm?
When the weather is horrible ours is happy as long as he is snug. Either curled up against SWmbo, or lodged in the companionway. We have carpets down below so he cannot impersonate a pinball.

stav

Visit site
Sounding better all the time, now should we get a boy or a girl. I was thinking about a boy but with two young daughters (9 and 5) having another girl in the house and would require less explanation when the dog is thinking about other girl dogs if you know what I mean! Are spaniels as likely to have a go at your leg like a jack russel? Never though I would be posting this on the forum. guess it can be counted as off-thread....Sorry

Babylon

Visit site
Are spaniels as likely to have a go at your leg like a jack russel?

I don't know, but in the hot summer of 2003, wearing shorts and chatting to an old boy in the village, my then young black lab got bored waiting and cocked his leg, peeing yellow stuff all over me! I was furious but old Don was in complete stitches. The pup got such a rollicking that he never did that one again!

ferroboat

Visit site
On our previous yacht we had a jack russell, who was brilliant, loved boats, would jump into any dinghy he thought would take him out to the yacht, and his favourite occupation was standing on the bow ready to repel all boarders. The only downside was the tiny white hairs, but they are great dogs for boats. Now we are liveaboard cruisers and he has gone to dog heaven, we have a bedlington terrier bitch, and of course, they do not loose their hair. Dolly can last for about 30 hours without going ashore, but has a mat she can pee on if desperate. She likes sitting in the sunshine on deck watching the world go by, and snoozing in the corner of the cockpit.
http://moonshineofmersea.wordpress.com/

the lloyds

Visit site
IMG_1457.jpgWe have a fully trained boat dog that is looking for a new home. She is a Fox Terrier Bitch [nicer character than a JR]. She is good with other dogs, cats and people. She spent two months onboard this summer. However we are off round the world and the admin would kill us all. BTW we inherited her a year ago so we are not complete b.....ds

Free to good home of course. Has pet passport, all jabs, 9 years, adores the dinghy but no desire to jump in the water.

IMG_1242.jpg DSCN1049.jpg

Last edited: