Recommendations? 40ish footer for coastal cruising

doug748

Visit site
I am in no position to recommend anything in this category so in the true tradition of the forum I suggest one of these:

http://pinnacleyachtsales.com/jeanneauso40ds/sunodyssey40ds.html

Old enough to still look vaguely like a boat, pointed at the front, stern sections not as daft as some, lots of room and big windows for looking out of.
You would not want the teak decks on this one and they carry a bit more draught than you might like for coast hopping.

pvb

Visit site
Hmmm. He has 100k to spend. I think that any westerly ever built would be worth less than half that. My suggestion is that he can afford a new boat at that price. New electronics, fresh rigging. Better than a second hand boat from a company that went bust 20 years ago.

I suspect rather old fashioned for the OP however his brand choice is quite limited given price, age criteria and size as he has rather ruled at Scandinavian contenders I suspect however I did suggest a Moody again if he was seeking an alternative to Benbav Jen etc.

Sorry guys, my Westerly remark was very tongue-in-cheek, and merely a reflection of the fact that in virtually every "which boat" thread, someone will suggest a Westerly!

pvb

Visit site
I think someone should contact Beneteau first thing and tell them "a guy on an internet forum" doesn't like their latest design.

I wasn't referring to the portlights in the hull, but those in the coachroof of the Bavaria 40S. It was a horrible design, done by a BMW design team, and was replaced quite quickly by the much more delicate Farr-designed deck moulding.

Sailfree

Visit site
I think 40 new is going to be a lot more than £100k with on the water price.

There will be many suitable boats secondhand but problem with these forums is that people suggest their choice which fits their compromises/tastes.

FYI I personally like deck saloons and find the airiness popular with women. Important to keep SWMBO on board (pun intended!)

However in your position I would look at a variety of boats lists the features you both like, list features you both don't like but suspect the final choice will be decided by the boat that is presented well and in best condition and most importantly the right price. In doing this exercise make a list of essential features but decide that after looking at boats so you don't start with a closed mind.

FWIW I don't like Volvo bits having owned 2 new boats with Volvo's that have lots of problems. My current Yanmar has 3800hrs and no problems but I am sure you can find some that can state the opposite!

Last edited:

tomsis

Visit site
I looked around a Jeanneau 409 today - felt rather average I thought. So I think the elan 434 maybe the current favourite as she felt so well built, and i like the airiness.

Seven Spades

Visit site
With that budget I would not buy any boat that slams, Dufour, Benetau, Jeaneau or Hanse. You could get a really nice Swedish or Danish boat that sails really well and is a quality build. Don't be obsessed by age, your 10 year old boat soon becomes a 20 year old boat. Look for a boat that has been looked after and is in good condition. An older boat is much less likely to depreciate as much as a newer one.

I sold my Starlight 39 early this year and if I wanted another 40 foot boat I would probably buy the same again ( they only have 2 cabins, but do have two heads and a ton of storage), they don't slam and sale really well. I put a 3DL Genoa on mine it it went like a rocket.

Sailfree

Visit site
Modern production boats are shaped for roominess and speed. They get going in lighter winds. For this reason that have flatter cross sections and will slam compared to old designs if beating in waves. Even Halberg Rasseys are shaped more like this now. If you are going cruising in good weather it's no problem if you are sailing round the world there are better boats than modern production boats with prices to match.

Before buying any make of boat find a charter fleet that has one and ask about reliability and robustness of fitting in use. We liked the Elan 434 version of 15yrs ago but was put off by comments from charter fleets experience plus they have Volvo engines.

While newer boats are desirable I ordered the last Jeaneau 43DS produced in 2005 as the later boats, to be cost competitive against all modern production boats, are an inner egg crate type hull glued to the outer hull. I particularly wanted a thicker outer hull reinforced by inner ribs and beams etc. so all exposed for visual inspection.

Last edited:

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
Why go for 3 cabins in a 40' boat?
My old 35'boat has 2 cabins (for 2 couples), and cockpit lockers to store stuff.
And 3 more berths if you are going to cram them in.
Is it a hotel you are looking for or something for you and maybe some friends now and then?

Tranona

Visit site
Why go for 3 cabins in a 40' boat?
My old 35'boat has 2 cabins (for 2 couples), and cockpit lockers to store stuff.
And 3 more berths if you are going to cram them in.
Is it a hotel you are looking for or something for you and maybe some friends now and then?

There is a big difference volume wise between 35 and 40' and two aft cabins is very common in the larger size. For some people having the extra cabin is valuable (note the OP is sharing the boat). My old 37 had 2 aft cabins as originally it was a charter boat. my wife and I found it very useful as we converted the second aft cabin to storage. The only downside was the smaller loo compartment compared with a 2 cabin. We sold it to a couple with two teenage children (boy and girl) so each could have a cabin of their own.

So, as with all things boaty, there will always be compromises and it is up to the individual to consider what is most suitable for his or her requirements which may be very different from yours.

jac

Visit site
There is a big difference volume wise between 35 and 40' and two aft cabins is very common in the larger size. For some people having the extra cabin is valuable (note the OP is sharing the boat). My old 37 had 2 aft cabins as originally it was a charter boat. my wife and I found it very useful as we converted the second aft cabin to storage. The only downside was the smaller loo compartment compared with a 2 cabin. We sold it to a couple with two teenage children (boy and girl) so each could have a cabin of their own.

So, as with all things boaty, there will always be compromises and it is up to the individual to consider what is most suitable for his or her requirements which may be very different from yours.

Agreed - we are searching for a 2 aft cabin boat as our girls will be 13 and 11 in a couple of months. Assuming we keep the boat for 5 years that's 18 and 16. They don't like sharing a double bunk with each other and want some privacy - it also gives them space for all their junk and even enough space to have a friend along for a weekend.

Yes of course we could cram them into the saloon but that makes the saloon messy and off limits when people are trying to sleep.

Not all boats are sailed by a couple with the occasional guest(s)

flaming

Visit site
With that budget I would not buy any boat that slams, Dufour, Benetau, Jeaneau or Hanse.

Strange... With that budget and intended use I'd just try and track down the best Dufour 40 that I could find. My dad had one for 12 years and it didn't slam unless you sailed it badly.

Brilliant boat otherwise, fast, comfortable and stood up well to worse weather than you're likely to see coastal cruising with a family. And Dad's had the short keel, which was 1.6m.

laika

Visit site
Hmmm. He has 100k to spend. I think that any westerly ever built would be worth less than half that.

The last oceanlord was built less than 20 years ago and one in decent condition would account for rather more than half the OP's budget. There's enough locker space that any discrepancy between the price and £100k can easily be made up by adding cases of 1990 Dom Perignon.

jwilson

Visit site
I am in no position to recommend anything in this category so in the true tradition of the forum I suggest one of these:

http://pinnacleyachtsales.com/jeanneauso40ds/sunodyssey40ds.html

Old enough to still look vaguely like a boat, pointed at the front, stern sections not as daft as some, lots of room and big windows for looking out of.
You would not want the teak decks on this one and they carry a bit more draught than you might like for coast hopping.

I too actually quite like this era Jeanneau 40Ds and 43DS - certainly prefer the boxy 4)DS/43DS deck saloon to the ugly whaleback (and no nice look-out-seating) of the next generation Jeanneau DSs. Also as Sailfree says a very conventional hull construction - better than modern eggbox.

Angele

Visit site
Strange... With that budget and intended use I'd just try and track down the best Dufour 40 that I could find. My dad had one for 12 years and it didn't slam unless you sailed it badly.

Brilliant boat otherwise, fast, comfortable and stood up well to worse weather than you're likely to see coastal cruising with a family.

I would have to agree wholeheartedly with that suggestion, although mine is not for sale. :)

Tranona

Visit site
The other boat you could buy which I would prefer to the Dufour is a Maxi 1100.

Sorry, but it is not you buying the boat and the OP has a set of requirements that are different from yours and met by the boats he has been looking at. Neither of your suggestions meet his requirements.

Seven Spades

Visit site
The Maxi and Dufour are very similar. The Maxi is a better build and there is virtually no difference in passage times by these two boats.