Recommendation for Canaries training - CC / DS

dustynet

Visit site
Hi all,

Ive been advised by a training centre that there's some weather coming in to Gib around the first week in December which will likely put at risk some sailing during that week.

Are there any recommendations for sailing training in the Canaries please?

I appreciate that its a bit close to the bone, but Im hoping to get a CC course early to mid December, ideally being able to roll straight into DS theory and practical.
Im not rushing anywhere from beginning of December due to finishing work and deliberately leaving the rest of Dec and Jan free for some sun and relaxation, preferably once the DS is out of the way.

I could be ready to fly out as soon as next friday 3rd Dec evening.

Little Dorrit

Visit site
I can't talk about other locations but a few years ago Sunsail had a centre in San Sebastian (La Gomera) which I set up for them. The sailing there was good although the katabatic winds were a problem and I used to have to advise bareboat charters not to go out on quite a few occasions. You will be able to learn or brush up on basic boat handling and sailing techniques but tidal flows are minimal; so not the same level of boat handling and tidal planning you need in the Solent., also pilotage using buoys is limited; the harbours are generally quite straightforward to enter. I personally think you will learn more in the Solent but if you are looking for a nice holiday in the sun and getting some general sailing experience it would be fine.

Last edited:

dankilb

Visit site
(As a CAA/EASA licensed pilot)… this sounds like the sort of thing we used to post/discuss on flying training fora…

I hate to say that, when it comes to sailing, I think it’s largely an unnecessary concern/effort/expense.

I wouldn’t rate the content of either of those courses worth int’l travel (especially mid-pandemic).

dustynet

Visit site
OK, I'm interested in hearing your reasons behind that opinion.

Allow me to provide some background on my question.

I've never sailed, have Ribbed, spent weeks on live-aboards, dived, and in most other ways I can think of enjoyed the pleasures of the seas and have a long history of wanting to get in, on or under the sea. Historically I've been unable to begin my own sail journey for several reasons, however I am now able to realise this.

On the training front I'm not looking to turn this into a career in any way, but am looking to equip myself with the basic, if not better than basic knowledge, skills and most importantly to me, experience, that will enable me to evolve my seamanship skills in a manner which is safe to myself, safe to others and conducive to the longevity of my yet to be purchased first boat.

I am aware that in the UK there is nothing stopping me from purchasing a boat, taking it out on the water and learning the hard way, however as has been pointed out in another thread, I am unfortunate enough to not know anyone else personally who already lives this lifestyle, therefore sadly I'm at a loss how best to achieve this without paying an organisation for the privilege of bestowing the aforementioned.

Yes, I know ? I can already hear you drawing breath to respond about the virtues of clubs, and there are a fair few around me, however the same clubs have already been approached approached and they are by there own admission dinghy racing focused, not sailing focused, to the point where 2 clubs don't have anything other than training dinghies. In addition to this, the costs of joining these clubs are sufficiently high that a CC or DS course costs equal to or less than cost of a years membership.

Factoring in the UK weather / season there appears to be a theme whereby vessels are lifted for the winter. When looking for something in the UK since October, I've found that everywhere is already booked up until around April 2022. This applies to all options I've found for local(ish) training to me which would cover the west coast from roughly Blackpool down to Anglesey. Had my timing been different I would have been able to catch one of several organisations much closer to home, or around Scotland as Scotland is another one of my loves.

So, with clubs wanting more than a CC course in fees, not having boats (not dinghies) on the sea, training shutdown for the winter, and the seasons being unfavourable in the UK, the obvious next step for me is to look where its warmer, where its tidal, and where there is availability.

From a personal availability aspect, I will finish my current contract mid-December, possibly early December. At this point I will be looking at taking some down time for some much needed relaxation in the sun. Wanting to have my initial training under my belt before mid/end January opens the doors to completing this abroad, although wanting tidal, not med.

This then frees me up to consider next steps, decisions around crewing / mile builder type exercises or picking up a smaller used yacht which is large enough for me to sleep on for a few nights at a time while port hopping and building experience.

In an ideal world I would be able to wander down to the local marina, chat up the local HM, get an introduction to a couple of skippers who offer to take me out and it goes from there. Unfortunately in these modern times of fearing the COVID and being wary of everyone, I can understand anyone's reluctance to do this. I may try this approach while in the sun anyway as you never know who you might meet and connections being made.

Anyway, this started as a quick response last night, then the battery died and its the beginnings of war and peace now which wasnt my intention
:)

Little Dorrit

Visit site
OK, I'm interested in hearing your reasons behind that opinion.

Allow me to provide some background on my question.

I've never sailed, have Ribbed, spent weeks on live-aboards, dived, and in most other ways I can think of enjoyed the pleasures of the seas and have a long history of wanting to get in, on or under the sea. Historically I've been unable to begin my own sail journey for several reasons, however I am now able to realise this.

On the training front I'm not looking to turn this into a career in any way, but am looking to equip myself with the basic, if not better than basic knowledge, skills and most importantly to me, experience, that will enable me to evolve my seamanship skills in a manner which is safe to myself, safe to others and conducive to the longevity of my yet to be purchased first boat.

I am aware that in the UK there is nothing stopping me from purchasing a boat, taking it out on the water and learning the hard way, however as has been pointed out in another thread, I am unfortunate enough to not know anyone else personally who already lives this lifestyle, therefore sadly I'm at a loss how best to achieve this without paying an organisation for the privilege of bestowing the aforementioned.

Yes, I know ? I can already hear you drawing breath to respond about the virtues of clubs, and there are a fair few around me, however the same clubs have already been approached approached and they are by there own admission dinghy racing focused, not sailing focused, to the point where 2 clubs don't have anything other than training dinghies. In addition to this, the costs of joining these clubs are sufficiently high that a CC or DS course costs equal to or less than cost of a years membership.

Factoring in the UK weather / season there appears to be a theme whereby vessels are lifted for the winter. When looking for something in the UK since October, I've found that everywhere is already booked up until around April 2022. This applies to all options I've found for local(ish) training to me which would cover the west coast from roughly Blackpool down to Anglesey. Had my timing been different I would have been able to catch one of several organisations much closer to home, or around Scotland as Scotland is another one of my loves.

So, with clubs wanting more than a CC course in fees, not having boats (not dinghies) on the sea, training shutdown for the winter, and the seasons being unfavourable in the UK, the obvious next step for me is to look where its warmer, where its tidal, and where there is availability.

From a personal availability aspect, I will finish my current contract mid-December, possibly early December. At this point I will be looking at taking some down time for some much needed relaxation in the sun. Wanting to have my initial training under my belt before mid/end January opens the doors to completing this abroad, although wanting tidal, not med.

This then frees me up to consider next steps, decisions around crewing / mile builder type exercises or picking up a smaller used yacht which is large enough for me to sleep on for a few nights at a time while port hopping and building experience.

In an ideal world I would be able to wander down to the local marina, chat up the local HM, get an introduction to a couple of skippers who offer to take me out and it goes from there. Unfortunately in these modern times of fearing the COVID and being wary of everyone, I can understand anyone's reluctance to do this. I may try this approach while in the sun anyway as you never know who you might meet and connections being made.

Anyway, this started as a quick response last night, then the battery died and its the beginnings of war and peace now which wasnt my intention
:)
Have you looked at the Crewing Opportunities forum here?

dankilb

Visit site
have Ribbed, spent weeks on live-aboards, dived, and in most other ways I can think of enjoyed the pleasures of the seas and have a long history of wanting to get in, on or under the sea.
In this case I’d avoid CC. I really is incredibly basic. Nothing you couldn’t get from a book (or don’t already know).

I do see the attraction of a doing a decent course in the sun. Maybe I was too cynical above…!

But aim for DS (at least) and consider doing the theory (either entirely self-study or the CS/YM Theory course - the latter which I did moons ago and do rate) as you can start that straight away.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
As you mention that you are within striking distance of Anglesey why not move your horizon westwards, to Ireland . Take the ferry to Dublin and it's only a (30min) short hop to Dun Laoghaire, where these two RYA-Approved sailing schools are based. Both are run by acclaimed offshore- and two-handed competitive sailors .
Yachting Courses
Sailing courses Dublin
Both run courses through the winter.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I got my first experience through www.phoenixyachtclub.co.uk, who are quite good value if you live near the Solent. Their RYA courses are £15 per day, on top of the club's normal day rate (which can be as low as low at £28 a day out-of-season). I'm surprised to see the annual membership has more than doubled since 2019. Not sure what the justification for that is. Covid?

Once you have a bit of experience the Solent crewing groups on Facebook are probably now the best way to find skippers who need crew. I got several weeks of international trips from them.

I agree that competent crew is worthless as a qualification but, if none of your family and friends sail, it's hard to get first-day-on-board experience without paying for it. If you want a holiday break and to take up sailing then - at this time of year - it seems the best way for OP to progress. The instructor may be amenable to signing off some of the DS tasks.

st599

Visit site
I got my first experience through www.phoenixyachtclub.co.uk, who are quite good value if you live near the Solent. Their RYA courses are £15 per day, on top of the club's normal day rate (which can be as low as low at £28 a day out-of-season). I'm surprised to see the annual membership has more than doubled since 2019. Not sure what the justification for that is. Covid?

Do they have a club house? No building, no Covid business relief. Many similar clubs were on the RYA calls asking - full outgoings and no bookings.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Do they have a club house? No building, no Covid business relief. Many similar clubs were on the RYA calls asking - full outgoings and no bookings.
Nope. In effect, they're a boat-ownership cooperative - they have two boats, an X-Yachts X-40 and a Westerly Oceanquest 35, which are berthed at Haslar in Gosport; members pay a day rate to use them.

I suppose that a larger annual fee discourages skippers who take the boats out only once per year, but in 2018 the boats were not being used much outside of peak summer season so I'd have thought the club would have wished to encourage membership.

dustynet

Visit site
As you mention that you are within striking distance of Anglesey why not move your horizon westwards, to Ireland . Take the ferry to Dublin and it's only a (30min) short hop to Dun Laoghaire, where these two RYA-Approved sailing schools are based. Both are run by acclaimed offshore- and two-handed competitive sailors .
Yachting Courses
Sailing courses Dublin
Both run courses through the winter.
Thanks Spirit, appreciate the suggestion.
Ive just checked both out however are booked up until early next year.

st599

Visit site
Nope. In effect, they're a boat-ownership cooperative - they have two boats, an X-Yachts X-40 and a Westerly Oceanquest 35, which are berthed at Haslar in Gosport; members pay a day rate to use them.

I suppose that a larger annual fee discourages skippers who take the boats out only once per year, but in 2018 the boats were not being used much outside of peak summer season so I'd have thought the club would have wished to encourage membership.

I think the main issue for such clubs, and training centres without buildings, is that they had pretty much zero income for all of last year, weren't eligible for any government reliefs (as they were based on building rates), and still had mooring or storage fees outgoing.

dustynet

Visit site
In this case I’d avoid CC. I really is incredibly basic. Nothing you couldn’t get from a book (or don’t already know).

I do see the attraction of a doing a decent course in the sun. Maybe I was too cynical above…!

But aim for DS (at least) and consider doing the theory (either entirely self-study or the CS/YM Theory course - the latter which I did moons ago and do rate) as you can start that straight away.
That was exactly my intention at the outset of this adventure, not so I can run around touting a ticket everywhere, but just to give me a safer starting point buying my first boat. Sadly, as with most things, politics appears to have introduced the CC barrier to me doing DS, which there appears to be growing murmurs here and elsewhere that this wont offer an awful lot in my situation other than line the pockets of RYA affiliated businesses. What's a man to do? ?‍♂️:rolleyes:

markspark7

Visit site
Highly recommend Canarysail in San Miguel in Tenerife for Day skipper and Yacht master, 7 days on board food and drink, 4 different marinas including last two days sailing to La Gomera and back.
Did my DS practical between Boxing day and New years day , one of the best experience ever.

Skylark

Visit site
Sadly, as with most things, politics appears to have introduced the CC barrier to me doing DS, which there appears to be growing murmurs here and elsewhere that this wont offer an awful lot in my situation other than line the pockets of RYA affiliated businesses. What's a man to do? ?‍♂️:rolleyes:

On the contrary, anyone can step into any one of the RYA training courses, based upon their prior knowledge and experience. It is a very flexible training scheme.

Read the syllabus for each course and/or speak to a School Principal or an Instructor.

CC has a lot of content and is suitable for beginners.

Candidates are unlikely to meet the criteria for DS Practical course completion certificate unless they have an appropriate level of knowledge, equivalent to DS Shorebased, and have some sea time on a sailing boat.