Recommend me an orbital sander.

LoneHort

Visit site
ha! Just doing it at the moment. Beast of choice is Matika BO6030 with Mirka pad savers and abrasives and a shop vac. Starting at 40g to 80 and finishing up at 120.
Great machine.

oz-1

Visit site
Hi Graham, a couple of years ago i was looking for a cheap orbital sander to do some work on my boat. I didn't want to spend too much money as i thought i wouldn't need it afterwards. I bought a Von haus orbital sander on ebay, i think it only cost about £20. It worked really well, it did what i wanted, it also came with some polishing pads ( haven't used them so far ). I have had to use it recently and it is still going strong. Spare sanding discs are available from Toolstation at very reasonable prices. I hope this is of some help to you. Best regards Oz.

RumPunch

Visit site
Bought a cheap one from Screwfix when I was doing mine a few years ago - it did about 80% then died - just got it swapped under their 30 day exchange so may be worth considering

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I bought 2 of these Ryobi sanders for prepping the CC for a fresh coat Ryobi ESS 280 RV Sander Ryobi ESS 280 RV Sander: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools . Used 80 grit to cut through to expose a good keying surface. The dust catcher really does work well, very little gets past it into the air. Really shpi
s bring them back from Greece as they’re good bits of kit, albeit not cheap.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Another Makita disciple. I've got the 5" version (BD5030) of the BD6030 mentioned above, which I chose for maximum lightness, knowing that hull sanding would be its main task. After a life spent using an inherited Black and Decker rectangular jobbie I must say that I was astonished by how good it is, very low vibration, light and eats paint for breakfast.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Another vote for Makita. Nearly all my power tools are Makita ones now and they've been brilliant. (Except when they got nicked as they're the top choice for many builders and hence readily saleable.)
Simultaneously posting with the vicar, how odd that I chose to use 'disciple'. Maybe there is something to this mysterious ways malarkey.

Stemar

Visit site
Generally, my policy for new tools is to buy a cheap tool for the job. If I find I use it enough to break it, I'll get a decent one. Some of my tools from Aldidl are fifteen or more years old, because I only use them a couple of times a year, others have been hammered, and keep coming back for more. In my experience, they're as good as the DIY store own brands.