Recalled Gas Cylinders - help needed

Foxy

www.yachtfoxglove.com
Ive only just heard that the two 'plastic' gas bottles on our boat have been subject to a usa recall due to poor manafacturing and orher incidents. Whilst Im happy to make them safe and destroy them, they are both at least half full and of decent size. Any ideas as to how I can empty them safely etc?

Patrick

Hoolie

Visit site
Use them up then dispose of them. Presumably the recall is on account of increased risk of problems rather than being in immediate danger.

Foxy

www.yachtfoxglove.com
Use them up then dispose of them. Presumably the recall is on account of increased risk of problems rather than being in immediate danger.

Well on the basis of how long we've had them the risk of immediate failure is probably low, however our prime cooking is diesel (especially in the uk) so it would take us quite a wile to get through them I think. Probably got about 6kg of gas in each

VicS

Visit site
Ive only just heard that the two 'plastic' gas bottles on our boat have been subject to a usa recall due to poor manafacturing and orher incidents. Whilst Im happy to make them safe and destroy them, they are both at least half full and of decent size. Any ideas as to how I can empty them safely etc?

Patrick

I take it these are something different to the 6kg bottles recalled and replaced by Calor ? No UK agent for your bottles ??

VicS

Visit site
Well on the basis of how long we've had them the risk of immediate failure is probably low, however our prime cooking is diesel (especially in the uk) so it would take us quite a wile to get through them I think. Probably got about 6kg of gas in each

Take them to a local council recycling depot. You should find which will accept them on line, otherwise contact the council.

I know where I would take them ....... my nearest depot accepts them!

VicMallows

Visit site
I really can't see any reason why these bottles should 'suddenly' become dangerous. You suggest they are of US origin; are they owner-refillable bottles? .... or how do you otherwise replenish them?

Whatever, I would simply use up the gas without any unnecessary disturbance to the bottles and only then 'worry' about how to dispose of them.

GHA

Visit site
I really can't see any reason why these bottles should 'suddenly' become dangerous. You suggest they are of US origin; are they owner-refillable bottles? .... or how do you otherwise replenish them?

Whatever, I would simply use up the gas without any unnecessary disturbance to the bottles and only then 'worry' about how to dispose of them.
If it was the same bottles I got in the Caribbean then the recall was quite a while ago. I've gone over to homebase grp bottles now.

http://www.sailfeed.com/2013/06/fiberglass-propane-bottles-lite-cylinders-recall/

Visit site

Patrick

Are they subject to a UK recall? The American legal system is such that there are recalls for trivial matters simply to cover ar5es. The result is that vehicles are often recalled in the US but not in europe. Remember the US is the land where you sue if you spill a cup of hot coffee in your lap because the coffee cup hasnt got a warning on it and exclusion clauses.

GHA

Visit site
Are they subject to a UK recall? The American legal system is such that there are recalls for trivial matters simply to cover ar5es. The result is that vehicles are often recalled in the US but not in europe. Remember the US is the land where you sue if you spill a cup of hot coffee in your lap because the coffee cup hasnt got a warning on it and exclusion clauses.
Or instead of guessing that it's just the US being nanny state, reading the (quite damming) recall notice might be a source of more accurate info....

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfile...ecall_Order_The_Lite_Cylinder_Company_Inc.pdf

robertj

Visit site

Patrick

What type of cylinders, the gas (butane/propane) and are the cylinders portable?

charles_reed

Visit site
Or instead of guessing that it's just the US being nanny state, reading the (quite damming) recall notice might be a source of more accurate info....

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfile...ecall_Order_The_Lite_Cylinder_Company_Inc.pdf

Yes, quite damning evidence of flouting basic safety principles.
The ongoing ? by various self-important posters is also damning.
Of course we're assuming that the composite bottles are the ones made by the Lite Cylinder Co.
My current Go-Gas cylinders are composite and though in Greece could be Lite Cylinders.
Fortunately a low-pressure (butane) system, and well ventilated.
So thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited: