Rebuilding 1929 Fastnet winner Tally Ho

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com

Stemar

Visit site
No, there's a long way to go yet. IIRC, he hasn't got the deck on nor most of the inter fitout.

I think there are one or two bits of the original boat in there somewhere, but basically it was a pile of firewood when he took it on, He's mad to even think about it but, while I'm glad to have more sense than to get involved in any sort of wooden boat project, I'm glad he is.

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
And the lead from the keel - currently being melted down and re-cast!
Ah, I saw the wonderful episode where lead was melted and intended to flow over the original ballast block to add to an even depth increase. Instead the flow melted its way through the block and poured out of the bottom and away!

tillergirl

Visit site
And the lead from the keel - currently being melted down and re-cast!

Somehow I didn't count that as original anymore as it has/is being re-cast. Next weeks vid should do that. I think it is probably the only time that safety was seriously compromised. Thought it pretty scary and the current vid showing the pre activity still looks rather close to some nice boats. I seem to recall Acorn's keel casting. Must see if I can find that.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Having wood butchered all my life and banged a few boats back together too, I have no doubt that the Spirit, the character and behavioural characteristics of the old Tally Ho live on surely in(to) the new T H - with a whole new chapter of seagoing adventures lying ahead ??

It is also a masterclass in setting out to build the various complexities that fit(!) together to build a beautiful boat worthy of the lumber and labour that has been invested .

And all willingly shared on the Uni of Ytube !

Not a bad legacy for a young chap

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
I have watched the series on YouTube from the start and as other have said is like a watching a masterclass in boat building for such a young head as Leo's who is a credit to whoever taught him his trade plus he is an excellent sailor in his own right.

It's even nicer to see that he admits making mistakes and does listen to all others advice not like some other current programs about boat renovations.

tillergirl

Visit site
And he is particularly good at making videos as well. No, or at least very few, shaky shots, well edited, well explained.

I particularly liked the 'futtock' part - finding the Live Oak, getting it, cutting, making and fitting the futtocks. Absolutely brilliant. The accuracy of cutting heavy, hard timber... I admire what he and the team did.

Stemar

Visit site
I'm also an admirer if his skills in both boatbuilding and making videos. I rather think he's a lot further along with the former because of the latter. I wonder if such a project would have been possible pre-Youtube.

I still think anyone who takes on a project like that has to have a few screws loose, though - hell, I've wondered if I'm not a few sandwiches short of a picnic taking on Jazzcat at my age!

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
It's been my every second Sunday night entertainment since he started. I have to admit, as he was disassembling in the first few episodes I started to wonder If it would be too much but by god he's done a brilliant job so far! The keel episode had me shouting don't do it! it will melt the lead!!

Is is 4 years now since he started? It must be close to that. I used to get my fix from "Tips from a shipwright" and Acorn but I don't watch either anymore.

FirstinLastout

Visit site
I believe they have retained a lot of various original wood to be recycled & repurposed elsewhere on Tallyho, for example old decking where sound into interior joinery etc

Ink

Visit site