Rebedding stanchion bases

DirkJ

Visit site
I have to rebed a couple of stanchion bases and at least two of them I cannot reach from down below. That means that I cannot fit a backing plate and trough bolt the bases since I cannot reach the bolts from below decks. Any suggestion how to screw the bases to the deck only from the top?

Thanks
Dirk

G

Can you pass a rod or wire down one of the fixing holes and see it down below ? If so - then use studding and large washers / double or locknuts ....

I had same problem where fixings passed down into the toe-rails .... so narrow that no spanner or fingers could get up there ...

So ... buy long length of studs and plenty of suitable nuts and washers.

Pass stud down till it exits and can be seen in cabin. Large washer and then locknut ot two nuts tightened together. Pull studding up till washer / nuts are butted up inside.......... now wind another nut on outside up tight ... cut of studding ...

I did my stanchions that way ... lasted well enough ....

Spyro

Visit site
Are they impossible to get to or are they covered for example by a moulded internal lining? If so the only way to do it is to cut out a hole in the lining to allow access to the stantion base then cover over the hole with a suitable patch once repair is complete.

DirkJ

Visit site
Spyro, it is realy impossible to get to them - at least to one of them. That would require major disassembling of boats bonded woodwork and cutting out a huge part out of a bulkhead.

mogy: Sometimes they don't think at all, me thinks.