Re threading halyard

Hoaroak

Visit site
This sounds (and is) daft, but I'm not used to hollow masts with internal halyards!So, today, raising it for the first time, I've lost both jib and main halyards from a 28 ft mast. Is anyone on line who could advise the best way to re-thread those halyards? (Mast is in the garden now)

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Not a daft question at all. I believe it's done using a long thin stick - at least that's how it seems when watching them in the boatyard. The biggest threat is getting a twist between two lines.

<hr width=100% size=1>Humperdinck

Email: HJ@Seacracker.org

Hoaroak

Visit site
Thanks,wonder if the 'stick' could have been wire? I was thenking of using fencing wire, but the main halyard has got to pass the jib sheeve lower down the mast. The PBO board suggests vertical and old rigging wire, but that will be difficult to arrange.

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
I've recovered the situation with a 'mouse' consistining of small galvanised shackle pin tied on the end of whipping twine. The mast needs to be inclined to encourage the pin to run down, but not necessarily raised vertical. The pin can be eased around obstacles with the aid of a magnet on the outside.

If there is still a wire or halyard threaded, then an alternative is to use this to pull up a light line up the length of the mast, attach the two halyards to this and pull all three back down. Its easiest to take remove masthead blocks first with this approach, but not too hard to work round them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
a few tricks that have been known to work:

drain rods (if there's room)

a ball of light soft material with a light line, propelled by vacuum cleaner or air line (tape over other exits first)

thread a few nuts on a light line, push in through masthead sheave then tip mast towards vertical.

one of those should be possible.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Robert\'s your father\'s brother

I've done it several times on dinghy masts with a small bullet-shaped fishing weight on monofilament. Put it in the top of the mast, tie the line off so it can't move, raise mast to vertical(ish), untie line and let it run, rattly noises and a clunk, hook out monofilament from the appropriate mast slot using a piece of bent coat hanger. Robert's your father's brother.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Strathglass

Visit site
If there is not any space for drain rods.
Then purchase (£5.99) part number D14072 from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.screwfix.com>http://www.screwfix.com</A>.

It is a 3mm diameter nylon drawing tape with a brass end and is 30 metres long. It is intended for pulling wires through 20mm plastic conduit.

Another way if there is a convienent tall window in your house is to lean the mast against the house wall and drop a weighed thin fishing line down the mast through the window. Done this often on smaller masts.

Iain

<hr width=100% size=1>

Hoaroak

Visit site
Mission now accomplished, with many thanks to all the good suggestions from humperdinck,scarlett,AndrewB,snowleopard,TwisterKen, and iainsimpson!
I ended up using a 30ft length of galvanised 2.5mm fencing wire, which worked a treat.
I shall keep an electricians drawing tape in stock in the future, ready for next time!

<hr width=100% size=1>