Re: Fairline 36 Sedan

G

The original message has been lost or deleted.

G

We bought a 36 sedan in October of 1999, and kept her for about a year and a half.

I thought she was a great, strong boat, with good accomodation for a couple (us) and occasional guests.

Fly bridge steps are a bit dodge, but like other responses she is a good sea boat, with a good turn of speed if you have the 306 volvo's. The lazaret is a good space as well. I loved the way she handled on the throttles around the marina as well.

The only problems that we had were in the engine bay. Acccess is a pig, especially to the implellers which are located hard up against the forward bulkhead. My size also meant that It was difficult to get to the raw water strainers as well, and starboard oil filter is very difficult.

We had some leakage from the shower compartment, and the ports on the early versions, (pre 89) can be hard to get bits for.

Watch for the exhaust manifolds. lack of support on the turbo (?) thingys that hang off of the back of the manifolds can lead to stress fractures and elbow failures at this point. (A good volvo guy will point this out) Ours had had previous welds on this spot were the elbows had failed. We then had a tiny crack in the manifold lead to a £2500 repair on the starboard engine.

A lot of these boats have come back to the UK from original service in the MEd, via austria or Germany, so a carefull check on previous owners is essential, and a carefull engine survey would be recommended.

I eventually sold ours because of my lack of previous knowledge of the engines history, plus a general nervousness about the engine access. (There is no way you are going to be able to change a impeller at sea o this boat.)

If you are happy with the engine access, and with the conditions of them, then they are a great boat. Strong, quick, good looking (Especially after 89) and with loads of good space for a couple occasional guests.

I looked at the Juenaeu (?) 37 at the boat show, and thought, wow, a 36 sedan for the year 2000.

Have fun

Cheers

Doug.

PS; we got a S34 to replace it, and have been quite happy with her, better access to the engines, etc, but I sure miss that flybridge and the way she handles on the throttles!

G

We bought a 36 sedan in October of 1999, and kept her for about a year and a half.

I thought she was a great, strong boat, with good accomodation for a couple (us) and occasional guests.

Fly bridge steps are a bit dodge, but like other responses she is a good sea boat, with a good turn of speed if you have the 306 volvo's. The lazaret is a good space as well. I loved the way she handled on the throttles around the marina as well.

The only problems that we had were in the engine bay. Acccess is a pig, especially to the implellers which are located hard up against the forward bulkhead. My size also meant that It was difficult to get to the raw water strainers as well, and starboard oil filter is very difficult.

We had some leakage from the shower compartment, and the ports on the early versions, (pre 89) can be hard to get bits for.

Watch for the exhaust manifolds. lack of support on the turbo (?) thingys that hang off of the back of the manifolds can lead to stress fractures and elbow failures at this point. (A good volvo guy will point this out) Ours had had previous welds on this spot were the elbows had failed. We then had a tiny crack in the manifold lead to a £2500 repair on the starboard engine.

A lot of these boats have come back to the UK from original service in the MEd, via austria or Germany, so a carefull check on previous owners is essential, and a carefull engine survey would be recommended.

I eventually sold ours because of my lack of previous knowledge of the engines history, plus a general nervousness about the engine access. (There is no way you are going to be able to change a impeller at sea o this boat.)

If you are happy with the engine access, and with the conditions of them, then they are a great boat. Strong, quick, good looking (Especially after 89) and with loads of good space for a couple occasional guests.

I looked at the Juenaeu (?) 37 at the boat show, and thought, wow, a 36 sedan for the year 2000.

Have fun

Cheers

Doug.

PS; we got a S34 to replace it, and have been quite happy with her, better access to the engines, etc, but I sure miss that flybridge and the way she handles on the throttles!