Re enginePackage for a Volvo penta v8

andyc

Visit site
I need to re engine a boat currently with a Ford 351 V8 EFI with Volvo penta duoprop leg.

I want to go Gm Based V8 or 4-6 cyl diesel complete package .

Any one done this before and have suggestions where I can source a complete new V8 Engine with anciliaries from or what diesel to go for other than Volvo if I go that route?

jfm

Visit site
There was a good link the other day to www.coastalrides.co.uk, in kent. Seems worht a look at their stock. They do lots of Volvo (though they do others as well) and you said not Volvo - not sure how big an issue that is with you. Volvo might be expensive on spares but might be cheap on upfront cost, so worth it overall? Or is your volvo objection somethign else?

Mr Googler

Visit site
I had a boat with 2 GM v8 diesels fitted.

They do marry up to VP 290 DP legs but you have to machine out the belhousing a little bit. No big job.

Have a look at http://www.marinediesel.nu/

these have a good reputation and are pretty well proven in marine application. I was very happy with my pair but would have had turbo given the choice as they can be a bit juicy without. Parts are dirty cheap though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Please PM me if you need anything as I have learnt alot about these engines not least from fellow formites!

Latestarter1

Visit site
The Yanmar 4LHA 240 is a real sweet motor and very popular in the U.S. to replace V8 gassers in Bertram's.

I have been involved with Steyr gas repowers which are nice, however lack the raw get up and go of the Yanmars.

GM V8's do not go there.

malcolm2

Visit site
I second the comments about www.marinediesel.nu. Excellent package. Conversion not quite as straightforward as it might appear at first sight, a few hidden snags along the way. But Marinediesel is the best option by far. Beware of bodged Samurai type meccano kits

Latestarter1

Visit site
The GM 6.5 which was dumped by GM in favour of an ISUZU V8 years ago. In the U.S the 6.5 is held in very low regard as a marine engine. The U.S. Military hate the engine, admit they screwed up and it one of the major contributors to HUMMVEE operational problems.

Heavy, Indirect injection, weak crankshaft, fragile turbomachinery, whacky Stanadyne fuel system, not simple to support in many places. Need I go on.

The Garmin entry with GM based Marinediesel engines blew a motor at pretty much every leg of the RB2008. James May considered the engines an expensive joke.

Even if the the 6.5 was fundimentally a good engine design, which it is not, Samurai GM conversions have pretty much trashed the reputation of the engine.

Simple reliable Yanmar 4LHA will add to value of craft.

I am being a grumpy old man again!

andyc

Visit site
Thanks chaps,keep it coming.I run a 350 ci v8 Volvo petrol in another boat. and its great but volvo dont seem to do this engine any more.Are the current VP engines Fords?
Is there any supplier for the GM engine complete with ancilliaries?
This seized Ford V8 Efi engine I have at the moment ,will a gm petrol or yanmar diesel replacement fit strait on the bellhousing ?

[2068]

Visit site
Current VP engines (petrol) are based on GM blocks.

Current VP engines (diesel) are from a variety of sources:
D3 Series = Volvo car engine
KAD32 / KAD42 / KAD43 / KAD44 / KAD300 / D4 / D6 Series = Specially designed to be a marine engine
Larger D-Series = Similar to some truck / industrial engines

Mr Googler

Visit site
I think the thing with the GM is it was never designed to be a high performance engine. Mine would thump along all day at 2800 revs giving 30 knots no problem. The stanadyne fuel pumps are on ebay for £350 delivered from the US and Midland Americian Vehicles in Birmingham have all the spares on the shelf. As was previously mentioned the samuria clowns did a really poor job but often it was the installation that let it down. Mine had bowman heat exchangers, custom stainless manifolds, 12 inch oil coolers and jabsco raw water pump. You've got to support the engine if taking it out of its comfort zone /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The thing I really liked was that it was all mechanical. Bolt on and off rather than plug and play. The support stateside is massive with loads on the web but as late boater said a bit limited here. Small world though.

Bear in mind my engines had no internal marinised components and ran really well. Did have an issue with one fuel pump but after £300 for complete pump overhaul all sorted. Wonder if VP prices would be the same!

I of course agree that the yanmars are far superior but I guess its all about the pennies. When you consider you can get a new GM long block for £2000 if something goes really wrong its not a bad option.

Best of luck with it and lets have some pictures during the install so we can oooh and arrr /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

AndieMac

Visit site
Lateboater....have there been many issues with the Yanmar 6 cylinder 315 h.p., specifically crankshaft breakages?
I heard a report from one of this countries largest powercat manufactures (Noosa-cat Qld.) that under no circumstances will they fit those engines to there craft, because of this problem.
Also one of our clients had both cranks break in under 150 hours on new motors (repowered 1998 model boat, cat.)
As far as I am concerned, Yanmar are a respected, high quality manufacturer, with an outstanding reputation. I was shocked to say the least at these reports.

The above reports were from 40' power cats with outdrives.

Don't mean to pick on you, but you appear to have good mechanical knowledge and experience, and Yanmar is a widely used product in the UK.

neale

Visit site
We suffered a crank problem on a 6 cyl Yanmar. Not sure exactly what the problem was as it was replaced under warranty. To be honest though, it's the only serious problem I have heard of with Yanmars.

Latestarter1

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I view Yanmar differently depending on the engine range.

The 6LP 315 Toyota base motor is very sensitive to propping, overload it and it has the durability of a disposable fag lighter.

However properly applied has been huge success in the U.S. They did have a big deal two years back with valve dropping at 1,000 hours which went legal big time.

Now this is the first time anybody has mentioned crankshafts to me but last year they added crankshaft damper replacement on the LP as a service item??? Which suggests they have an issue.

Email me if you need the topic.

Mr Googler

Visit site
Hey CB

Found the parts from them no problem but sold the boat before I ordered it so gave the chap the keys in one hand and the pump in the other with a website for him!!

andyc

Visit site
Well,I have done a bit of research and Id have to do do lots of hours to save on the fuel differance between petrol and diesel so At the moment I am persueing the petrol route.
The boat is 22 ft and Diesel repower will cost nearly 3 times the cost of petrol,so easiest route seems to be the GM Vortex 350ci v8 or 4.3l V6.I can get new long engines for £2300 for the V6 and £2800 for the V8.
I still have to source all the other parts though.
Im still looking for prices for a complete bobtail V8 or V6 complete.

Other threads that may be of interest