RayTech RNS TRACKS import/export

haydude

Visit site
Hello,

Has anyone tried to import/export Tracks from to a Raymarine C/E series display using RayTech RNS? It looks like it chooses only a .log file type refusing to point to the file on the CF card!

alan

Visit site
RNS Tracks Import/Export

I assume you have the "special" Raymarine CF card reader (£70!!!!!!), else the software will not read the cards??

Alan.

PRH

Visit site
Hello,

Has anyone tried to import/export Tracks from to a Raymarine C/E series display using RayTech RNS? It looks like it chooses only a .log file type refusing to point to the file on the CF card!

Had the same problem when I bought my E series so raised it with Raymarine and the answer is no you cant.

Raymarine response:

"Tracks saved on a MFD do not contain course and speed data. These tracks contain only the coordinates of the waypoints. Tracks may only be transferred between MFDs. However, RayTech software cannot import MFD tracks. When interfaced to an MFD, while underway, a PC running RayTech RNS 6.1 will be capable of creating its own track/log files. Unlike MFD tracks, RayTech track/log files contain information for all alphanumeric data logged with each waypoint. It is possible to use the undocumented and unsupported "C:\Program Files\Raymarine\Raymarine RayTech Navigator\logprocess.exe" feature within RayTech RNS 6.1 to extract position coordinates, depth, time, and other logged data from the log files to produce ASCII text files. When enabled, RayTech's logging feature will log all data channels received and calculated by the RayTech software per user specified time interval and duration configuration settings (File->Setup->Logging). Logging must be enabled (File->Tracks->Enable Logging) and a log file will be produced every 24 hours or upon exiting the RayTech software. These log files (Tracks) are used for historical data analysis and capture all instrument and calculated data. In order to produce a report, RayTech's logging feature in conjunction with the logprocess executable (undocumented and unsupported) can be used to filter the logs to contain only the channels required. The following instructions can be used in conjunction with the logprocess executable:
- run the logprocess executable located in the RayTech installation directory
- in the logprocess utility, open the log file of interest (ex. 20-Mar-08_11-36.log). Note that log files have the date and time embedded within the log file's name.
- configure logprocess's settings to specify channels to extracted and any other desired settings
- in the logprocess utility, produce an ASCII file containing the processed data. The resulting file will have the same name as the track file, but will have a .txt extension.
- using MS Excel or another spreadsheet program, import the processed ASCII file and further processing if required."

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Bloody ridiculous!

I really don't understand how the person who makes the technical decisions at Raymarine still has a job!

They insist on having closed, proprietary systems and then leave the most basic functionality unfulfilled.:confused:

haydude

Visit site
Utterly stupid design, really you do not want to run a PC all the time only to log tracks!

The worst thing is that if you import Routes/Waypoints into RNS, edit them and then write onto the CF card, Tracks are overwritten and disappear!

haydude

Visit site
I assume you have the "special" Raymarine CF card reader (£70!!!!!!), else the software will not read the cards??

Alan.

Yes I do, but that is not quite necessary because one could insert a normal CF card into the MFD and save the Routes/Waypoints/Tracks on it.