Raysand Channel

morgandlm

Visit site
After a wonderful peaceful night in Yokesfleet Creek, I "took on" the Raysand Crossing this morning ( 30th June) for the return to Bradwell. I followed the recommended 1 degree East meridian and had no problem. The least depth I saw was 2.9 m at the Northern end of the crossing at around 09:00 today when the Burnham tide height was 3.9 m. according to Absolute Tides.
My main observation is that when using the Raysand to go back into the Blackwater you end up punching the tide on the way out of The Crouch to get to the start of the crossing and then are punching the tide in The Blackwater after HW. Although considerably longer, I had enjoyed the sail through the Spitway and the Swallowtail yesterday much more since it was possible to keep a favourable tide for most of the passage. Other than masses of seals, I had Yokesfleet to myself. Am I the only one who likes mud and solitude?
David Morgan

MikeBz

Visit site
Other than masses of seals, I had Yokesfleet to myself. Am I the only one who likes mud and solitude?

Absolutely not! The Yolkesfleet is one of our favourite places. There were a dozen boats anchored when we were there a few weeks ago, but since we draw < 1m with the keel up we have our own space well beyond where the underwater cable crosses.

The Ray Sand route works very well for Brightlingsea -> The Crouch.

prestomg27

Visit site
We were anchored in the roach 2 days ago and just two other boats there. Pretty much the only boats sailing on the crouch were two sail training vessels.

Plum

Visit site
After a wonderful peaceful night in Yokesfleet Creek, I "took on" the Raysand Crossing this morning ( 30th June) for the return to Bradwell. I followed the recommended 1 degree East meridian and had no problem. The least depth I saw was 2.9 m at the Northern end of the crossing at around 09:00 today when the Burnham tide height was 3.9 m. according to Absolute Tides.
My main observation is that when using the Raysand to go back into the Blackwater you end up punching the tide on the way out of The Crouch to get to the start of the crossing and then are punching the tide in The Blackwater after HW. Although considerably longer, I had enjoyed the sail through the Spitway and the Swallowtail yesterday much more since it was possible to keep a favourable tide for most of the passage. Other than masses of seals, I had Yokesfleet to myself. Am I the only one who likes mud and solitude?
David Morgan
Yes, you need to punch some current for part of the passage but if going into the Crouch I usually go through the Raysand Channel 2 hours before HW so carry the flood a long way up the Crouch (Draft 1.4m). If going into the Blackwater I can often get to Bradwell or Brightlingsea with a favourable tide.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited: