Raymarine Network Failure.

Freeloader

Visit site
I have a Raymarine network running multiple devices/sensors and displays, all talking to each other over an STng network. Suddenly all my senders started dropping out, so I am getting multiple messages saying such things as "AIS Connection Lost", "No Heading", "No Pilot" etc. The Raystar GPS, the heading sensor etc are all flashing, so they are getting power from the network but no data is being shared.

Where do I start with this one!?!?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Is it all SeaTalkNG or are the transducers SeaTalk and connected to the SeaTalkNG network through the adaptor kit?

I think the blue-yellow-white of that kit is distinctive - I think Raymarine use one colour for SeaTalk and the other for SeaTalkNG. (And maybe the 3rd colour for connectors that do both?)

The key to fixing your problem is to understand the NMEA 2000 "backbone" topology:

iaCr3xI.jpg

• Data runs down the backbone
  • Devices are always connected by a T-connector (and a drop cable)
  • There is a male terminator at one end of the backbone, and a female terminator at the other end (terminators may be inline, which is confusing)
  • SeaTalkNG is mostly just NMEA2000 with funny connectors

If you've got a single device that isn't getting data from the transducers then it's the T-connector, the drop cable or the device itself.

If you have multiple devices that aren't getting data then it's more likely the backbone.

You can isolate parts of the backbone, moving the terminator to cut off the end - so long as you maintain the terminator-T's-backbone-terminator topology. you now have a smaller NMEA 2000 network; if everything works fine on that then you know the problem is in the bit that you cut off. You might find it handy to take a single i70 display and move it closer to the transducers, for instance.

Garmin PDF guide: https://www.signalfilters.com/images/GARMIN-GPSMAP4008_NMEA2000NetworkFundamentals.pdf

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I'd start by unplugging and re-plugging every joint in the system. Then see if it is still a problem.

Next step would be to unplug each sensor and watch for a failure, plug it back in and move onto the next sensor.

jlavery

Visit site
Sounds like something is generating noise on the network. As others have suggested, try unplugging devices in turn to see if you can identify the culprit.

If you have an Axiom plotter on the network, it has an option to view data and also save logs. These may give some information. Other plotters may have a similar option.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have a Raymarine network running multiple devices/sensors and displays, all talking to each other over an STng network. Suddenly all my senders started dropping out, so I am getting multiple messages saying such things as "AIS Connection Lost", "No Heading", "No Pilot" etc. The Raystar GPS, the heading sensor etc are all flashing, so they are getting power from the network but no data is being shared.

Where do I start with this one!?!?
You'll need to provide information about what is on the network and how it interconnects, impossible to even hazard a guess otherwise.

Grumpydev

Visit site
If its everything going bananas my immediate thought would be one of the terminators, either not connected properly or on the fritz, or possibly just the connection/cable to the MFD if its only that that's showing the errors.

Freeloader

Visit site
Helpfully, the heading sensor eas flashing an error message saying that there was a network problem, which narrowed down my search. As Sandy suggested, I unplugged and isolated various parts of the network to see which bit was causing the problem.

Grumpydev got it spot on, as it was one of the little blue terminator resistors. I've no idea why one of those would fail and I wasn't convinced that it had. However, swapping it out for a new one cleared the issues but putting it back caused the same problem, so the duff one has gone in the bin!

It's a bit alarming that the whole system can go down due to an error with just one part but I suppose that is what all my paper charts and compass are for!

Incidentally, what do the little terminator resistors actually do? The system won't work without them, so they must do some essential task. Likewise, do the little black ones do anything other than act as blanking covers in unused spurs or are they essential too?

Grumpydev

Visit site
The terminators are resistors that just stop any reflection of the signal, they very rarely fail, but when they do the segment they're terminating generally goes a bit nuts.

Thankfully with most PC networking we don't have to worry about that stuff these days, but I had plenty of headscratching back in the day of 10base2 bnc networks!

I think the black ones are just for blanking and water sealing any spare spur connectors you have.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The terminators are resistors that just stop any reflection of the signal, they very rarely fail, but when they do the segment they're terminating generally goes a bit nuts.

Thankfully with most PC networking we don't have to worry about that stuff these days, but I had plenty of headscratching back in the day of 10base2 bnc networks!

I think the black ones are just for blanking and water sealing any spare spur connectors you have.
That is correct (y)

Freeloader

Visit site
Thank you all for the helpful replies - it is very much appreciated!

Incidentally, the failed terminator resistor took out every device and sensor on the whole network, not just those on that end. They all still received power but there was no data transmission. On selecting Network from my helm MFD or the one in the saloon, they weren't 'seeing' any devices at all.

I was lucky to have some spares on board - it's not something that I would otherwise have kept on board but they came with some other equipment.