Raymarine i60 Wind not working

Kylora

Tarbert Harbour, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Sco
Visit site
My 2013 Raymarine i60 Wind Instrument has suddenly stopped working correctly. It was fine before leaving the berth but had stopped working by the time we needed to raise mainsail. It didn't work all afternoon. I did try splitting the plug and socket at deck level and spraying with WD 40.

Did some checks in a fairly strong wind with consistent direction back in the berth. The needle on the head points to 12 o clock and the the LCD shows 3 dashes. With the wires still connected to the instrument, I recorded the following DC voltages to black/screen
Red 7.95, Green 5.3 to 5.9, Blue 7.17 to 7.18, Yellow 1.58 to 1.63

The relevant button presses reveal that the Instrument Head is in Repeater Mode rather than Master. I believe that this is because the Voltage on Blue is wrong and can’t be be changed by the user.

I found a combination of button presses which checked that the wind direction needle could be indexed round the clock.

I feel that a poor contact at the masthead block would likely give low or no voltage rather than too high a voltage so the fault is likely to be in the transducer.

I will need to pay someone to do any work at the masthead so buying a replacement transducer at about £350 would seem to be the best option.

I believe that I could buy a replacement PCB at about £120 but I don't know how quick or easy it would be to fit while the rigger is standing by on wages and if it would fix the fault.

Any thoughts, advice or hints would be appreciated.

TIA
Ash

Last edited:

Hoolie

Visit site
We have an intermittent windspeed problem with our i60 that seems to be caused by a poor connection at the top of the mast. I did measure the voltages but can't recall what they were, certainly non-zero, and there was a very low amplitude waveform on the sensor connection. I did see a thread on the Raymarine forum by a guy who bought a new masthead unit when it didn't work only to find out later that it was a cable problem!

Medic

Visit site
I have had similar issues with intermittent periods of not working, interspersed with being fine. My understanding is that it is usually a sign of corrosion on the masthead unit pins/connector.

Removing the masthead unit, cleaning the contacts and reinstalling resolved the issue for us.

Kylora

Visit site
I have had similar issues with intermittent periods of not working, interspersed with being fine. My understanding is that it is usually a sign of corrosion on the masthead unit pins/connector.

Removing the masthead unit, cleaning the contacts and reinstalling resolved the issue for us.
Did you carry out any voltage checks? I wish that I had done more tests with wires removed from display.
I've assumed that 8v is sent up red wire and powers the transducer and any voltage on other colours is coming from the transducer so faulty pins would drop voltage rather than cause voltage to be higher than the norm.
I'm sure that I have read that tests can be done without the display head by using an 8v power supply which would support my assumption.
Still trying to convince myself to splash the cash.
Thanks
Ash

edureyes2150

Visit site
Hi, my i60 wind tridata has an erratic behavior, when I turned on the system start to work fine in the wind speed (18 knots today) but not working in wind direction. In a few minutes the wind speed display marks cero.
If I turned off the system and star again around four hours later, the behavior is similar.

I chequed the voltages with these results:

- red to shield: 7.96 volt
- green to shield: 2.7 to 2.8 volt
- blue to shield: 2.6 to 2.7 volt
- yellow to shield: 1,02 volt

I wrote Raymarine technical support and this was the reply:

Hello Eduardo,

that would suggest some sort of interference did you check to make sure the wind direction shifts smoothly? and are there any frayed wires?

What kind of interference would be possible?

I will proceed with cleaning the connections in the masthead unit.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Eduardo

Kylora

Visit site
My 2013 Raymarine i60 Wind Instrument has suddenly stopped working correctly. It was fine before leaving the berth but had stopped working by the time we needed to raise mainsail. It didn't work all afternoon. I did try splitting the plug and socket at deck level and spraying with WD 40.

Did some checks in a fairly strong wind with consistent direction back in the berth. The needle on the head points to 12 o clock and the the LCD shows 3 dashes. With the wires still connected to the instrument, I recorded the following DC voltages to black/screen
Red 7.95, Green 5.3 to 5.9, Blue 7.17 to 7.18, Yellow 1.58 to 1.63

The relevant button presses reveal that the Instrument Head is in Repeater Mode rather than Master. I believe that this is because the Voltage on Blue is wrong and can’t be be changed by the user.

I found a combination of button presses which checked that the wind direction needle could be indexed round the clock.

I feel that a poor contact at the masthead block would likely give low or no voltage rather than too high a voltage so the fault is likely to be in the transducer.

I will need to pay someone to do any work at the masthead so buying a replacement transducer at about £350 would seem to be the best option.

I believe that I could buy a replacement PCB at about £120 but I don't know how quick or easy it would be to fit while the rigger is standing by on wages and if it would fix the fault.

Any thoughts, advice or hints would be appreciated.

TIA
Ash
I bought a replacement wind transducer and the rigger fitted it on Tuesday and system now working normally.

One of the pins showed signs of verdigris so maybe that was the fault. I'll try to do some tests on the old unit at a later date.

The new transducer came with a mounting shell because the location slot has been changed at some point. My system is maybe 2015, and my shell was the more recent one so changeover was easy.

System seems accurate without having to do circles to linearise it.

Ash

Kylora

Visit site
Where did you buy this as I fear I might have to go same route ,however I just wondered if these things just last 5 years ?
Sorry for delay in replying. I've been sailing and don't view the forum using mobile data as it seems to eat data.

Anyway, I bought my replacement from Cactus Navigation and Communication.

Can't seem to insert the link.

Ash