Ray54E

pikeyrm

Visit site
I have recently installed a Ray54E dsc radio into my boat and would like to connect it to a nmea input so it can send info to the radio, does anyone know of any alternatives then buying the dome ( Raystar 125 Satellite Differential GPS Receiver) from Raymarine/ other chadlers. would other makes work.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
As long as your current gps has a NMEA output the radio should be able to pick the lat/long up. NMEA is a industrial standard although the input and output need to be connected to the correct version. I have a mix and match of raymarine and simrad stuff. so no you don't need the raystar 125

pikeyrm

Visit site
i dont have any gps on the boat at the minute. i only use charts with the aid of a garmin etrex but would like to connect this feature on the radio up.
is there any way of connecting these together?

NorthUp

Visit site
In theory you could connect the etrex, but sourcing cables and plugs would pobably be even more hassle.
You can use a different make of combined GPS/ ariel, and for connection to a DSC its more reliable if you have a dedicated fixed gps anyway.
I used one of these-
http://www.mesltd.co.uk/digital-yacht-gps105-active-antenna-p-1124.html
to replace a raystar 125 at half the price,and they seem more reliable. It should wire into your DSC NMEA input, and will give you a gps lat/long on the vhf display, if you don't have a plotter.

andy01842

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In theory you could connect the etrex, but sourcing cables and plugs would pobably be even more hassle

[/ QUOTE ]
A cable for an etrex can be brought anywhere, I do not know about a plug for your radio but you only need 2 wires conected, earth and data. If you payed more than £30 you been had.

NorthUp

Visit site
Andy 01842- You are right, I should have googled first, cables do appear to be available- but for a DSC feed, I would still prefer a fixed GPS, less to go wrong.

Pikeyrm- I don't recognise that particular GPS on ebay, so cannot comment if it will have NMEA output.

pikeyrm

Visit site
i might cut the cable i have for my pc and use that, as i don't use it for the laptop. it should be ok until i find a permanent solution, as i cant find cable doing google search.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
in theory if your garmin exports NMEA all you need is a cable and the correct connection for the garmin. All it is 2 wires that produce a signal.... you may be able to get a cable or make one up ! Although a cheap fixed set would be much better. The raystar 125 will be sea talk not NMEA until it's fixed to a gps.