ray sand channel

AliM

Visit site
We came across the Ray Sand channel yesterday in thick fog - well, we were going to rely on the depth sounder and GPS anyway, so actually being able to see something would only have been a distraction, wouldn't it?

Tillergirl's depths were spot on (using times and depths of tide from Burnham) - thanks!

The fog was so thick that we passed between Colne Point and the port one beside it (Bench Head??) without seeing either, and within a cable of Outer Crouch, Crouch and Inner Crouch without seeing those either. We saw no boats or land between Mersea Stone and the entrance to the Roach, although we heard a few boats. It was an eiry experience.

Ali

Marmalade

Visit site
We had the same experience - although I did go close enough to bench head to see it, we passed through colne bar without seeing either buoy and then saw nothing more than 150m away until Harwich. I have to say that without radar and a plotter I'd have stayed at home.

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
1,000 th POST!!!

Have to post something just to make the 1000 mark.

I can't believe that just a few years ago, before GPS, we were doing this using a combination of dead reckoning, depth soundings and didn't have a clue really where we were.

At the time that seemed a normal thing to do. It would seem madness now.

FullCircle

Visit site
Re: 1,000 th POST!!!

Not madness, and usually very well aware of where we were by triangulating againt a back bearing to the features on Foulness Island, with the Buxey Beacon and the Buxey Bouyage, not to mention the entrance buoy to Ray Sand, and then steer 000-005 degrees, until you could feel the difference in the wave pattern as it go t a 'little bit' deeper.

As far as I am aware, my GPS still doesn't chart the movemetns in the Ray Sand, or any other sands in our area. Not to be used for Navigation, mine says.
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif