Raw water engine pump.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Not quite clear what you are asking.

1. Your engine has become a carnivore
2. You want to replace the engine
3. You want to replace the pump

If as I suspect you only have a problem with the water pump and the pump is a conventional rubber impellor type you could check that the cam which is fitted inside the pump body. If this is displaced or damaged it could be damaging the impellor.

For further info on engines this is a useful site http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/index.cfm?CFAPP=6&Forum_ID=81&P=1

oldsaltoz

Visit site
The pump works, it's just chewing out the shaft oil and water seals at the back, I suspect the shaft is scored and thought I would replace the lot and keep old one as a backup.

But Volvo are asking for over AU$700.00, so an alternative pump or supplier is what I would like.

30boat

N/A
Visit site
The pump works, it's just chewing out the shaft oil and water seals at the back, I suspect the shaft is scored and thought I would replace the lot and keep old one as a backup.

But Volvo are asking for over AU$700.00, so an alternative pump or supplier is what I would like.

I once repaired one for a friend and just had a new shaft turned by an engineer(can I say that?).It cost next to nothing and together with new seals lasted for years ,at least until the boat was sold.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
It will be either a Jabsco or Johnson. Have a look on the web sites.

I also have a Jabsco replacement manual and will bring to office tomorrow so if you could give exact details of engine I may be able to find equivalent pump number.

Appleyard

Visit site
There is an alternative method which works..

Obviously,the seals are being chewed because they are bearing on a worn or scored bit of the shaft,which is abrading the rubber.
So the cure is to make them bear on a smooth area. This is achieved by making a couple of brass shims to fit behind the seals ,...about 15-20 thou should be enough,this will move them sufficiently so that they are now on a smooth bit.
There is plenty of space for this inside the pump.
This does work,and saves a few bob,as you only need to buy the seals,(which are still expensive from Volvo)

30boat

N/A
Visit site
Obviously,the seals are being chewed because they are bearing on a worn or scored bit of the shaft,which is abrading the rubber.
So the cure is to make them bear on a smooth area. This is achieved by making a couple of brass shims to fit behind the seals ,...about 15-20 thou should be enough,this will move them sufficiently so that they are now on a smooth bit.
There is plenty of space for this inside the pump.
This does work,and saves a few bob,as you only need to buy the seals,(which are still expensive from Volvo)

The seals can be bought at any specialized shop and stainless springs can be specified.

PaulJS

Visit site
Sleeve the shaft?

If you have access to a lathe, it 's pretty easy to turn down the shaft to good, unscored material and then to fit a sleeve in place of the removed material. This can either be shrink fitted, or to reduce the chance of future leakage between shaft and sleeve, it can be an interference fit with one of the proprietary thread/bearing adhesives such as "loctite".
Incidentally, these pumps and their associated casings are relatively easy to adapt to use seals which are more readily available than original spec manufacturers spares... Although this does of course invalidate any warranty...:D

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Getting some good info here so far, I am about 6 hours away from the marina at the moment but plan head there on the weekend and get all the numbers off the pump and engine.

Thanks for the your guidance so far, keep it coming.:)

grafozz

Visit site
Viton

Make sure , when you buy non OE seals that they are made in Viton , these are special seals developed to resist saltwater , then as o/p said , with s/s or copper springs .
Theres usually a way around Volvos extortionate pricing policies !

ruvane

www.techno-laser.com
raw water pump

I wanted to replace the pump on my MD11C and the Volvo price was ridiculous. Bought a new one from www.ancor.it at a fraction of the price.

Service was excellent. Highly recommended.

Usual disclaimer - no connection, satisfied client, etc.

Ruvane.