Ramsgate. Is the Royal Temple Open ?

harvey38

Visit site
Open for for food and drink as far as I'm aware but plenty other fine dining around locally be it Thai, Italian, Indian or fish n chips👍 Wetherspoons if all else fails 😋

harvey38

Visit site
The breakfast in the 'spoons is alright, feeds my kids up for not a lot of wonga :)
'Spoons, fabulous building but I wouldn't have food in there, we went for breakfast last year and for a couple of quid more, as Juan says, Ship Shape wins hands down. There is a new place opened up recently, the Modern Boulangerie, not cheap but as a treat, bloody lovely. Their sausage rolls are on a different level to anything I have ever tasted, pork, leek and stilton, £3 to take out but a meal in its own right

oldgit

Visit site
Off to Ramsgit tomorrow in a club cruise of about 15 boats ( If the weather Gods permit***), aware of most local eateries and have in the past even prepared to risk life and limb to go further into the town.
Worst ever meal was an establishment out on the harbour arm .

Taking a couple of friends along from the Mudway to Ramsgate, both are died in the wool raggies more usually to be found roughing it aboard some 40ft Jeanneau in the teeth of a gale off the IOW in mid January with the prospect of a tepid coffee and a Tesco ham sandwich in transit.
For their first Mobo experience wish to introduce them to the delights of a very agreeable mid morning departure, a known time of arrival and with the prospect of a rather nice lunch and chilled bottle of some amusing little Chardonney on the flybridge.
All sitting upright and no chance of some great lump of aluminum thumping you on the noggin at any moment and needing to be wearing clothes more suitable to a trip in the Artic.
The final treat was for them to be plying me with drinks on the terrace at RTYC watching the sun go down over France as per the famous Turner painting of The Fighting Temeraire. :)

***Have of course been looking at 6 or 7 different weather forecasts and will of course pick the best one....what can possibly go wrong ?

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
Off to Ramsgit tomorrow in a club cruise of about 15 boats ( If the weather Gods permit***), aware of most local eateries and have in the past even prepared to risk life and limb to go further into the town.

Taking a couple of friends along from the Mudway to Ramsgate, both are died in the wool raggies more usually to be found roughing it aboard some 40ft Jeanneau in the teeth of a gale off the IOW in mid January with the prospect of a tepid coffee and a Tesco ham sandwich in transit.
For their first Mobo experience wish to introduce them to the delights of a very agreeable mid morning departure, a known time of arrival and with the prospect of a rather nice lunch and chilled bottle of some amusing little Chardonney on the flybridge.
All sitting upright and no chance of some great lump of aluminum thumping you on the noggin at any moment and needing to be wearing clothes more suitable to a trip in the Artic.
The final treat was for them to be plying me with drinks on the terrace at RTYC watching the sun go down over France as per the famous Turner painting of The Fighting Temeraire. :)

***Have of course been looking at 6 or 7 different weather forecasts and will of course pick the best one....what can possibly go wrong ?
I take it Mrs OG going by car?

harvey38

Visit site
I understand the accommodation RTYC is very nice, not seen it but many members rave about it, good price too.

Plum

Visit site

some advice from my visit there a few weeks ago. As you know, you have to call Ramsgate Port Control on Ch14 for permission to enter the harbour. While I was there a group of 5 club boats went in together and one boat did not ask for permission, just followed in with the group, and got a right telling off on Ch14 by the Port Control guy. As the group organiser I recommend you either ensure all your boats call in individually or you get specific permission on behalf of your fleet of 15.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

TwoFish

Visit site
In there 2 weeks ago and at lunchtime they were only doing paninis. Don't know about evenings.

Also in there (RTYC) a couple of weeks ago (Coronation day), arriving late for the big event and considerably underdressed compared to the members. We were nevertheless made very welcome by them and even invited to join in the splendid Coronation feast they had assembled. Sadly a previous large, late Wetherspoons breakfast prevented further gluttony. The notices behind the bar did suggest that the normal lunch offering was panini, I didn't see any other menus.

As has been hinted, Ramsgate Wetherspoon's itself is a magnificent palace, with a balcony view most good hotels would struggle to match. Food is standard Wetherspoon's.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same place, but:

The other unexpected surprise was a very good meal at Home - Royal Harbour Brasserie . If memory serves, starting with some squid and a plate of padron peppers, followed by a well-executed halibut dish. Again, a superb location and eating on the outside terrace overlooking the harbour and sands was a delight.

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
Nope, despite my best efforts and dire warning of enourmous waves and to dodging thousands of rubber dinghies, she insists on coming along tomorrow to keep an eye on me to ensure I do not enjoy myself under any circumstances, a task she took on since wedlock.
no point us going down the club then, wont be anybody left!

oldgit

Visit site
Posting this from Maidstone Town centre.
A quick run to Sheerness and out to the wreck was sufficient for us wimps to cancel our Ramsgate trip.
Our planned Monday return did not look good either..
Ho hum☹️

PeterWright

Visit site
A few of the Moody Owners Association made it to Ramsgate yesterday and one more expected today. All still planning to leave tomorrow, one for the Baltic, us for Fowey and the remainder for Kent and Essex ports. We'll see what happens.

Peter.

oldgit

Visit site
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same place, but:

The other unexpected surprise was a very good meal at Home - Royal Harbour Brasserie .
In there pre COVID.
They might have not been open that long.
Must have improved.
They ran out of white.The replacement rose was actually warm.
Service slow and reluctant interior shabby concrete chic and seen better toilets in a bus station.
Amazing location but a long walk from the harbour.

Parabordi

Visit site
In there pre COVID.
They might have not been open that long.
Must have improved.
They ran out of white.The replacement rose was actually warm.
Service slow and reluctant interior shabby concrete chic and seen better toilets in a bus station.
Amazing location but a long walk from the harbour.
So you liked it then

oldgit

Visit site
Ramsgate aborted , we ended up doing a much more dangerous trip involving far more perils (according to most of the club) and went up to Maidstone Town centre via a night at Allington lock.
We totally failed to hit the bottom or any of the arches on Aylesford Bridge, did not hit any debris in the river, get anything round the props, completely failed to get the water intakes blocked and worst of all nobody could be bothered to let us go adrift during the night.
No rusty Frey Bento pie tin for us gin palace oligarchs either .
Ate in a "Greek" up in the town centre, an unexpected treat, a proper family run resturant and so much better than the irritating noisy franchised pseudo Italian(ish) chains selling genuine beer brewed in Burtonio on Trento that infest our high streets ,at least until the 12 month lease runs out and a identikit chain merely changes the furniture and the sign outside.
:)
All club boats legged it back from Heybridge/Titchmarsh/ Ramsgit on the Sunday,so a proper Bank holiday all in all.

Last edited: