Raising boom for sprayhood

Twyfordbridge

Visit site
I have been considering a spray hood on my Leisure 23SL for some time but have a problem due to the height of the boom being quite low and the gooseneck being riveted in position rather than the slider type commonly found on Leisure boats,
Rather than make drastic changes like having the sail shortened and gooseneck raised, I was considering having an extra cringle professionally fitted about 4 to 6 inches in the leech above the clew outhaul and fastening that down to the boom thereby raising only the aft end of the boom for times when the sprayhood is in use, which would only be in wet weather as i prefer a clear unobstructed view. My mainsail is loose footed. Although it may look a bit odd with , would it have much adverse effect when sailing?
Your views would be appreciated.

William_H

Visit site
That idea of a extra eyelet in leach of mainsail is often fitted as a flattening reef. ie small part of the bottom of the main sail is reefed getting rid of parts where there is a lot of curve. So ideal when wind comes up. No not much effect on performance even in light winds.
However problem of boom hitting spray hood is not lilely to be fixed by raising aft end of boom. Raise aft end by 15 cms will raise the boom at aft end of spray hood by about 5cms. May be enough but I am guessing not. I would suggest you might need to raise the gooseneck. Unrivet and rivet back up higher. You need to determine how high the top of mainsail is related top of mast. You may have enough room to raise the whole main sail. (perhaps get rid of shackle etc on halyard to get head right to top)
On the other hand probably not in which case you will need to shorten the luff of the main sail. Probably cut off top and give it more roach. Or cut off bottom of sail along foot. Or just revert to using first reef at all times. Or perhaps rethink need for spray hood. ol'will

norlee

Visit site
I did exactly that 4 years ago and clears the sprayhood perfectly.
No noticeable drop in performance.
A lot easier than re positioning the gooseneck and recutting the sail.
Norlee

B27

Visit site
1) Sprayhood does not need to be as high as most are.
2) Flattening reef will work, most sprayhoods have their highest point around 2/3 to 3/4 along the boom.
3) With a loose footed main, get a dyneema halyard, possibly even a 2:1 dyneema halyard and get the head of the sail right to the top of the mast. This may involve taking the tack of the main off of the boom and allowing it to go up the mast a few inches . Use a tack strap around the mast, or a slider in the mast track or both, to hold the tack in the right place. This may lift the boom at the clew end. On some dinghies, we dispense with the main halyard shackle and knot the halyard to avoid losing the length of the shackle.

4) The boom has to clear the sprayhood when the main is powered up, with the mast curved by the kicker, backstay etc.
5) Before doing any of the above, is the mast rake correct?
6) You might be able to gain an inch or so by raising the mast base on a plinth or packer?

Twyfordbridge

Visit site
That idea of a extra eyelet in leach of mainsail is often fitted as a flattening reef. ie small part of the bottom of the main sail is reefed getting rid of parts where there is a lot of curve. So ideal when wind comes up. No not much effect on performance even in light winds.
However problem of boom hitting spray hood is not lilely to be fixed by raising aft end of boom. Raise aft end by 15 cms will raise the boom at aft end of spray hood by about 5cms. May be enough but I am guessing not. I would suggest you might need to raise the gooseneck. Unrivet and rivet back up higher. You need to determine how high the top of mainsail is related top of mast. You may have enough room to raise the whole main sail. (perhaps get rid of shackle etc on halyard to get head right to top)
On the other hand probably not in which case you will need to shorten the luff of the main sail. Probably cut off top and give it more roach. Or cut off bottom of sail along foot. Or just revert to using first reef at all times. Or perhaps rethink need for spray hood. ol'will
Thank you William. The head plate of the sail is already very close to the sheave when hoisted, so drilling out the gooseneck and refitting it higher would need the sail shortened which i really wanted to avoid if possible. Using first reef at all times wouldn't help as gooseneck is riveted in position. I hadn't heard of the term 'flattening reef' before but see what you mean. I will have to try lifting the boom at aft end and measuring clearance distances where I think the top bars of hood may touch. I appreciate the clearance will lessen as it gets closer to mast. Thanks again for your opinion.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
1718087399132.jpeg
Here is my set up on my Leisure 23sl. Boom clears sprayhood by about an inch when topping lift dropped.
I am 5'8" and can see OK either standing back, around when sitting or over top when standing up against it.
Works for me. I keep it like this as I like the shelter (as you can see from the all round dodgers). ( But that's another subject, ha)

Daydream believer

Visit site
Having a sprayhood( if you must have such a thing) that is low is horrid. I often visit friends on their 40ft Jeneau & would have thought that there would be ample height. I actually struggle to get under it to get below. I turned down the opportunity to do the ARC with them because of it. A friend of mine has an identical boat to me & that has a higher tent than the Jeneau. She asked me to help fit the jib. After a few minutes back breaking trying to wind the halyard she swore at the thing & promptly folded it down. Trying to use cabin top winches under one with one's back bent is very tiring & can lead to back problems.
My first comment would be - do not bother with one & the second would be - if you must, then for goodness sake make sure it is high enough if you have to operate anything under it. My last comment would be- If you are set on one then get a camper van. They have better headroom

Daydream believer

Visit site
View attachment 178330
Here is my set up on my Leisure 23sl. Boom clears sprayhood by about an inch when topping lift dropped.
I am 5'8" and can see OK either standing back, around when sitting or over top when standing up against it.
Works for me. I keep it like this as I like the shelter (as you can see from the all round dodgers). ( But that's another subject, ha)
Must be quite dangerous in rough weather getting from the cockpit to the mast past that monstrosity with nothing to hold on to :eek:

Twyfordbridge

Visit site
1) Sprayhood does not need to be as high as most are.
2) Flattening reef will work, most sprayhoods have their highest point around 2/3 to 3/4 along the boom.
3) With a loose footed main, get a dyneema halyard, possibly even a 2:1 dyneema halyard and get the head of the sail right to the top of the mast. This may involve taking the tack of the main off of the boom and allowing it to go up the mast a few inches . Use a tack strap around the mast, or a slider in the mast track or both, to hold the tack in the right place. This may lift the boom at the clew end. On some dinghies, we dispense with the main halyard shackle and knot the halyard to avoid losing the length of the shackle.

4) The boom has to clear the sprayhood when the main is powered up, with the mast curved by the kicker, backstay etc.
5) Before doing any of the above, is the mast rake correct?
6) You might be able to gain an inch or so by raising the mast base on a plinth or packer?
Thank you B. Regarding your point 3. I will try, hopefully today, releasing the tack attachment and see if the main could be hoisted closer up. There is a large snapshackle to attach the head of the sail and I think a hard nylon eye spliced into the halyard. I will try with a simple halyard knot instead and see if that helps.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Must be quite dangerous in rough weather getting from the cockpit to the mast past that monstrosity with nothing to hold on to :eek:
It would be a very rare occasion when I would need to get to the mast. If you look closely ( a bit blurred, sorry) everything leads back to the cockpit. Never have a problem with winches or seeing where I am going.
Each to their own Daydreamer? ( wake up in a grumpy mood or what)?
The OP was asking about fitting a sprayhood not necessarily your opinion of their need or usefulness?

Last edited:

Twyfordbridge

Visit site
View attachment 178330
Thank you Seashoreman. Is your gooseneck fixed or sliding? Also, if you are going to your boat sometime soon, could you possibly measure the distance from the underside of your boom down to the grp panel immediately in front of your hood. It could be that my gooseneck height has been changed at sometime. It looks lower than yours but I might be wrong. The clearance from the underside of mine measured down to the side of the open companion way adjacent to the winch is only 42 cms. I will post a photo of this shortly as its on another camera.

Seashoreman

www.pianotuning.uk.com
Thank you Seashoreman. Is your gooseneck fixed or sliding? Also, if you are going to your boat sometime soon, could you possibly measure the distance from the underside of your boom down to the grp panel immediately in front of your hood. It could be that my gooseneck height has been changed at sometime. It looks lower than yours but I might be wrong. The clearance from the underside of mine measured down to the side of the open companion way adjacent to the winch is only 42 cms. I will post a photo of this shortly as its on another camera.
Happy to help. Unfortunately am supposed to be sailing down the coast for a long weekend to Levington Classic Regatta
on a friends boat.
Might be cancelled due to strong SSW winds. Am also off out to work this morning.
I can send more pic and measurements if you can wait. DM me and I will let you have my email.
( could save a few negative comments on here :) )
The weather here in Suffolk has been atrocious and wont be using the boat until it settles down.

Twyfordbridge

Visit site
Happy to help. Unfortunately am supposed to be sailing down the coast for a long weekend to Levington Classic Regatta
on a friends boat.
Might be cancelled due to strong SSW winds. Am also off out to work this morning.
I can send more pic and measurements if you can wait. DM me and I will let you have my email.
( could save a few negative comments on here :) )
The weather here in Suffolk has been atrocious and wont be using the boat until it settles down.
Thank you. Sorry you had negative comment like that. Totally uncalled for. Here is photo where I measured. Hope you get decent sailing weather.

Attachments

• received_831887394943022.jpeg
    received_831887394943022.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 12

Refueler

Visit site
Just replaced the set on my 25 ... sprayhood - mainsail cover - dodgers .....

My sprayhood - if I am not careful to make sure main is hardened up on luff - boom can 'brush' top of sprayhood ... so hood has a doubled strip there.

When standing in cockpit - I am 5ft 6in ... I can see over top .. just. That's fine for me as I do not like trying to see all via the sprayhood plastic 'windows' ... I use the hood as a quick duck out of way of spray / water coming over ...
When in port / anchor - sitting down - its perfect.

If I was to raise the hood higher - it would look strangely out of scale with the boat. I couldn't raise boom anyway - as its one with roller pin through mast with handle on front of mast.

Twyfordbridge

Visit site
Just replaced the set on my 25 ... sprayhood - mainsail cover - dodgers .....

My sprayhood - if I am not careful to make sure main is hardened up on luff - boom can 'brush' top of sprayhood ... so hood has a doubled strip there.

When standing in cockpit - I am 5ft 6in ... I can see over top .. just. That's fine for me as I do not like trying to see all via the sprayhood plastic 'windows' ... I use the hood as a quick duck out of way of spray / water coming over ...
When in port / anchor - sitting down - its perfect.

If I was to raise the hood higher - it would look strangely out of scale with the boat. I couldn't raise boom anyway - as its one with roller pin through mast with handle on front of mast.
Thank you Refueler. I want one for the same reason. Rigging up a tarp every time it rains when at anchor is a pain. I’ve got a big golf umbrella and have often opened it up in the companion way to keep the rain out. I hate having to slide the washboards or Perspex screen in and sit in cabin feeling claustrophobic. Much nicer to sit in with hood up and look out.... providing wind isn’t coming from astern. I spoke to sailmaker today and they are sure the problems can be overcome. Just waiting for them to give a date for measuring up.

Refueler

Visit site
If you can easily see over the top when sailing, it is obiviously too low when you want to use a cabin top winch

1. I don't have winches or lines on cabin top aft.
2. I don't remember seeing a Leisure 23 with such either.

But your comment doesn't make sense anyway ... how much clearance do you need for a winch and handle ??

Here's the hood on my 25 ... excuse the wife !!

i4TmM9jl.jpg