radio test - dsc or channel 16? and can we not bother the coastguard?

ghostlymoron

Visit site
RNLI advice

In SEA SAFETY published by RNLI (version 3/2007 SS061) under communication it says "Make sure everthing is working before you leave by doing a 'radio check' with marina, harbour master or coastguard.

This must be the official advice, I don't think it has been withdrawn. But I only do it when leaving my harbour on a reasonable passage when I inform the CG of my passage, crew, destination and anticipated arrival time.

If I'm just going for a sail round the bay, I don't bother the coastguard. If I need assistance, I can always draw attention to my plight by firing a cannon, burning my tar barrel, waving my arms slowly up and down or setting fire to my sails.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
I'm beginning to wonder why this thread has created so much implied criticism. Actually lenseman my epirb has a self test facility which allows me to test without the helicopter arriving. Again, it's an important piece of safety kit that i like to know is working.

In reply to another post, I've had failed radio checks. When I bought the current boat the radio received but would not transmit. So i replaced it. (Yes I know transmit requires a better aeriel conection than receive but the new radio worked fine)

On the old boat a start of season test failed and was traced to a fault installing the aeriel connection after unstepping the mast and storing the boat ashore.

I don't have a friend with a boat several miles away. In Burnham all the people I could call are within a very short distance so it would not be a real test. Bearing in mind my original post was to ask for ways of minimising the workload for the Coastguard I'm surprised at the implied criticism. I don't think we have the volume of traffic you get in the Solent so maybe its less of a problem. Is anyone from Thames Coastguard reading this? I'd welcome their input. Without exception they've always been polite, helpful and pleasant - never a hint of exasperation.

Philthy

www.skidvd.co.uk
When I bought my boat, the seller told me it had recently had a new vhf aerial fitted. Sat on my mooring in the Teign, I could hear the CG, and local harbour master, but nothing else. I decided to ask for a radio check, and was surprised not to receive an acknowledgment.
It turned out, that yes, the boat had got a brand new shiny aerial on top of the mast, but it doesn't do much, when the co-axial cable is disconnected!
I'm fitting a deck gland soon, so will check again. Not necessarily the CG though.

Cantata

Visit site
I call the CG once each year for a check, when I re-install the set in the Spring (it spends the winter at home in the warm and dry). The call is made early in the season, on a weekday, when there is nothing else going on. Their nearest aerial is 20 miles away and the other side of a hill - I call them once on high power, and when they respond I ask if I can call them again on low, which they always happily agree to (and which always works too).
After that I'll never bother them for the rest of the season, unless going cross-Channel on our own (i.e. with no other boats), in which case I'll call with the passage plan.
I've never called the CG on DSC, but we do play with it from time to time calling friends' boats in the area just to keep in practice.

savageseadog

Visit site
Once a year? There are several hundred thousand boats and probably even more radios. It's a good job we don't all waste their time.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Once a year? There are several hundred thousand boats and probably even more radios. It's a good job we don't all waste their time.

Sailing in the Solent, there are a lot of people who do waste the CGs time on Channel 16 broadcasting on 25w, sometimes during seelonce:rolleyes:

Solent CG request that radio checks be done on ch67, and are courteous to anyone who requests one on ch67, but can be short with people who call on ch16.

Personally I'll call a marina on 1w, if I've been playing with the aerial. When I'm out, I'll call a land station further afield on 25w Marina/HM/CG if I feel the need to.