Radio Checks - the definitive post

longjohnsadler

Visit site
Radio Checks?

I thought Channel no. 16 was a perfume.
Incidentally, I have noticed the preponderance of people on the website with photos or logos below their name - a fine looking boat, for example, or a man with a silly hat. If I log on 24/7 and start posting like a Royal Mail sorting office in the run up to Christmas, will I get one too?
Yours etc,
Roger Wilco.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
asnd the silly cow in pwllheli area

who comes on 16, calls her mate and cant be bothered to change channels cause she wont be long, will make note of her call sign and post it next time, suspect she is a gin palace, one of those that comes back in at 5 -6 pm at 10 knots and shakes us all up cause theyve been on the pop all day in church bay
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Mobile phone checks

Great idea Claymore, whilst we're about it let's maximise our return on all our comms kit.... I suggest we all do the following - each day as you leave home for work, dial 999 on your mobile phone and say:

"Hello, is that emergency services, can you hear me OK? Ah good, I just wanted to check that my phone works OK today in case I need it for real later. Speak to ya again tomorrow! Thanks. Oh, and you sound nice and clear too! Bye.
Over and Out".

R

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Re: Radio Checks - I CONFESS

I did my first radio check in many years the other week, I was so happy with it I did it again a few minutes later.

What led me to this drastic action was, when on my way down to Dartmouth and chatting to Portland CG, as you do. Letting them know what I was up to and warning other shipping to keep an eye out for me, but to my dismay, they said I was breaking up. So after a quick run around the deck and a peep in the bilge’s, I got on the radio again to let them know that everything appeared to be in order, then they told me that I might have a Radio or Ariel problem. Ah! Says I, all is not lost, I will dig out my emergency Ariel, which I had transferred from my previous boat. Wouldn’t you just know it, the coax connector on the Ariel was different to the one on the radio.
I bought another connector in Dartmouth and fitted it, then checked the main Ariel connector and found a strand of screen was shorting to the core.

There, you all now know, and have my full confession (with mitigating circumstances) I DID TWO RADIO CHECKS.
Maybe there is some hope for me, the checks were not to the CG but to Dartmouth River Control.
I plead for forgiveness.

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site
Re: Mobile phone checks

I'll start with this one tomorrow.
Do you think we should be activating epirbs and strobes say once a week just to make sure they are OK?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Re: Mobile phone checks

Abso-bloody-lutely.

And that way the CG Heli crews won't feel left out either 'cos they'll be able to practice scrambles every day several times a day - which almost guarantees that when a real call comes thru' they'll already be in the air which has got to be a bonus - might be a bit stressed and low on fuel tho.

<hr width=100% size=1>