Radio Blues - Update

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Just an update on what happened from my radio blues thread.

Went to the boat yesterday with a determination to sort out my illogical radio wiring.

Eventually, tracing wires I found that the four return wires from the speakers wired into the -ve wire supplying the radio with the 12volts. This at least explained how I was getting each speaker to work with just one wire. However, the system using this configuration did not work properly and the radio was gettting very hot. The original radio had the same problem.

After a few trials, I decided to abandon the old wiring but investigation showed that for me to run new wires meant taking half the boaty apart. So I used just one set of speaker terminals from the radio, so as to be able to use the existing single pair that was wired in - then put the balance over to full and the backward forward balance to all come out the one speaker - wired up the four speakers to the end olf this wire using the +ve amd -ve wires ( I removed the four -ves from the 12v -ve coomon), fitted two switches and now have everything working fine and tha radio not getting hot!

Everything I seem to do on the boat takes an inordinate amount of time and seems more difficult than its equivalent hone based job. Is this just me?
Kind regards
Paul

Paul

hlb

RIP
Visit site
I havn't got a clue what your talking about Gludy, but all sounds very complicated for a radio and speekers. But then again your right. You can take the most simple house hold object and put it on a boat, and it seems to have a life all of it's own, making ten times the work, for a simple task.
It took me three bloody months to put an arial up!!

Haydn

Geoffs

Visit site
I think I follow. Sounds like you had a common negative return on the speakers. This seems to be a common practice on boats, but not on cars. Most modern audio systems don't like common returns, and the destructions (sic!) specifically warn against it. Surprised your system wasn't terminated.

I had same problem, and had to rewire just like Gludy. Sounds like you've got it right now.

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
It seems to me that very few boat designs really take maintainance and ease of doing such things as running new wires into account. To change one impeller on mine you have to take half a bedroom apart ( I have now had a hatch cut to make it simpler).

I can understand that the designer has to fit a lot in but having spent 4 months working on my boat to date, there are many complications that could have easily be avoided at the design stage.

I do enjoy overcoming the problems but would still prefer not to have them!

Paul

byron

RIP
Visit site
Designers can't grasp the simple concept that boats need maintenance this is why they invariably make no provision for accessability.

ô¿ô

G

Re: Accessibility

Any job you do on the boat seems to make 5 more, just spent all afternoon upside down in the bilge cleaning up all the diesel which got spilt after the fuel line to the heater became disloged when I was installing new cockpit speakers.

mtb

Visit site
Re: come on its not that bad

Yesterday morning before we went out for a run on the boat I made a captains chair ,large base tubing frame attached to the bottom of the seat .all cut welded done and dusted by 09.30 hrs
This does always happen though I forgot the bloody screws for fixing to the
wheel house floor . I bet we all stand there and think the job through remembering all those times we got there only to find ,OH no forgot the such and such again.
Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v/cheep or swap for tug