Radio Aerial

cindersailor

Visit site
I will be installing a car radio/CD system on board next weekend and am not sure about the best thing to do about the aerial. I am aware that ariel splitter devices are available to allow the masthead vhf aerial to be used for both the RT and car radio, but as usual for this type of boaty kit they are well over priced. I have an emergency vhf aerial (1.5 M grp type) so was planning to see if this could be pressed into service with the hope that reception will be satisfactory with it laying under a bunk. Alternatively I will have to play around with a dedicated car aerial in the cabin. I do not want to have to mount an external one unless I have to.

Has anyone been down this road and found an ideal solution?

rob2

Visit site
Hi, Philip.

I used the splitter on Mojo. The FM radio trebled in volume and quality. I don't know about effects on VHF performance, but haven't run into any yet.

Some say that a wire coat hanger lying along a shelf inside the hull gives good service on FM, but I think you could be on a winner with the emergency VHF aerial. An ordinary car aerial is likely to rot away outside and be less than you'd hoped inside. Of course, LW (if you have such a luxury) is still normally picked up on a graphite job inside the radio - usually with great success.

Around your way, I'd be more concerned with the lie of the land, so it would suggest the aerial splitter and masthead job again.

Have a good season,
Rob.

searover

Visit site
Hi ive just got a piece of wire abt. a meter long stuffed in the back of where the radio is instaled peeerrrfect....

pappaecho

Visit site
I have a solution. Faced with the same problem I came up with a automotive radio aerial which does all frequencies, which is "T" shaped and sticks to the inside of a window be it glass or Perspex. I think it was about £10 from Ebay, but Maplin may do similar. I can get Radio 2 and Radio 4 weather forecasts in Northern France no problem

hollandd

Visit site
i use a rubber arial about 9ins long from car shop they used to be popular a few years ago reception is good (i have it in a cave locker resting against the hull)

Billjratt

Visit site
I assume you varne has a sprayhood. I got to where the screws for the S/S hoops came through the coaming, and attached a wire to one of them. Invisible, effective , no new holes. Similar for stanchions if the set is nearer one of them

Oldhand

Visit site
Depends at what range you expect to receive good reception on the receiver, especially on FM. The below decks solutions will work for powerful local stations as long as you are not parked surrounded by metal buildings or similar. such as sea walls at low tide. However, if you want good reception at distance, a splitter is the answer, especailly if your VHF antenna is masthead mounted.

Why does good range matter? Well, if you want to get the usually excellent Jersey weather forecasts while in W.Normandy or NE Brittany ports for example.