Radice Seal

masterman ready

Visit site
I have just replaced my stern seal which was a deep sea seal which was leaking quite badly when the engine was in use. the boat is out of the water and I have fitted a Radice seal. Installation has gone fairly smoothly, measure the shaft and ordered the appropriate seal. used fairy liquid to aid installation, I did find it quite difficult to remove the seal protector and had to redo it as I couldn't get it out the first time.
I find that turning the shaft by hand from the outside of the boat that it is quite stiff, I gauged this against other yachts at the club. Wondered if this is normal to start with or cause for concern, I have greased it with the supplied grease.
thanks in advance for any views.

Pye_End

Visit site
I certainly found it hard to get the protector out when I fitted mine, but did not find it stiff to turn. Is it definitely resistance from the gland or could it be the cutless? Is the alignment good - especially centred in the stern tube?

masterman ready

Visit site
I certainly found it hard to get the protector out when I fitted mine, but did not find it stiff to turn. Is it definitely resistance from the gland or could it be the cutless? Is the alignment good - especially centred in the stern tube?
Thanks, I think I am going to have to remove and have a look

KAM

Visit site
I've had a Volvo seal for 12 years 1500 hours. It's quite stiff to turn the prop out of the water. . The Volvo seal has a cutlass type bearing in it. Not sure what stern tube bearing you have but if you also have a cutlass in the stern tube like mine it will seem quite stiff out of the water. I wouldn't take it apart again.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have just replaced my stern seal which was a deep sea seal which was leaking quite badly when the engine was in use. the boat is out of the water and I have fitted a Radice seal. Installation has gone fairly smoothly, measure the shaft and ordered the appropriate seal. used fairy liquid to aid installation, I did find it quite difficult to remove the seal protector and had to redo it as I couldn't get it out the first time.
I find that turning the shaft by hand from the outside of the boat that it is quite stiff, I gauged this against other yachts at the club. Wondered if this is normal to start with or cause for concern, I have greased it with the supplied grease.
thanks in advance for any views.
On the back of your post, I fitted a Radice seal last winter, I moved the shaft today. It was stiffer than when I had the other seal.

masterman ready

Visit site
Thanks for all your posts, I remeasured the shaft again today and it seems I have installed a 25 mm seal on a 1’’ shaft, 😗 so have ordered a new seal. Muppetry by me !