Racing Pennant

theoldsalt

Visit site
Racing Yachts & Racing Pennant

Normally yachts racing do not fly an Ensign but fly a No1 Pennant from the backstay.

In people's experience is this always true.

I normally steer well clear of yachts I know to be racing.

If I see a group of yachts sailing in company without a flying pennants is it reasonable to conclude they are not racing?

Last edited:

bbg

Visit site
Re: Racing Yachts & Racing Pennant

The no 1 pennant denotes a specific class. I have raced on a couple of dozen different boats, hundreds of races in different classes. Never been on a boat that flew the no 1 pennant.

Those who are racing will appreciate your consideration in steering clear.

Yachts could be sailing in company for other reasons but I expect that racing is one of the most common reasons for a group of yachts to be together.

Leighb

Visit site
Re: Racing Yachts & Racing Pennant

In classes where a burgee is normally flown at the masthead, such as the 1930s One Design I raced for many years, when not racing one would have a triangular club burgee there and an ensign at the stern if you wish. When racing the ensign and the club burgee should be removed and a square burgee of any colour that takes your fancy flown at the masthead.
Thus triangle = cruising, square = racing. As bbg says a numeral pennant flown from the backstay usually denotes which class the yacht is in, and does also indicate that she is racing. Doesn't have to be No 1. If a yacht retires they should show an ensign to indicate that they are no longer racing, but might I suppose leave the pennant in place until they get back to base.