Quite fancy a trip to The Thames...

lisilou

Visit site
Hiya Jonesey.
Just updated all the charts funny enough just yesterday. Princess Channel was definitely my thoughts (the least scary lol). Will have a read thru your thread...thanks. Think it's gonna be a trip for next year altho I'd love to crack it this year but I don't think time will allow :(. Will definitely PM nearer the time so thanks for that offer.
L
:)

lisilou

Visit site

alruss

Visit site
Check your Thames charts, the P L A have a preferred channel for leisure craft. I think, from memory, stay to the south of the main channel then switch sides at turn in river. P L A now quite likely to tick you off for infringements, especially speeding, the 12knot limit goes out a long way now so chart updates need to be checked. All that said, the Thames is a great place to cruise, try the tidal at night, Imperial wharf good for this, tide times decide date. Greenwich Yacht Club have a couple of visitors moorings and are quite amenable a small fee applies I think, also a club to visit for its architecture.

Geoffs

Visit site
I did this trip a few years back, from Poole to Oxford and back, spent a month on the non tidal river, no noticeable loss of anodes, or anything else.

For anyone thinking of doing the trip, definitely do it, it's a wonderful trip. Don't be tempted to stop at St Kats., go as far up as you can. Most sports cruisers should be able to reach Oxford. Osney bridge will probably prevent going any further.

A few shallow bits, I touched bottom at Abingdon where the Ock joins, in spite of taking note of lateral buoy. Also just below Clifton Hampton bridge, and the narrow channel above Folly bridge Oxford.

Worth raising leg as far as poss above Reading, only going to be doing about 4 1/2 knots anyway.

Also, finally, beware of rowers. They'll shout at you if your wash is more than a mm. Just ignore!

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
That's a very tidy Targa Greg2

Thanks Richard....we di lavish a lot of care and attention on her and not just externally as this post shows

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?155639-Winter-Project-bit-PBO-with-lots-of-pics&highlight=

Jack Haines asked me to write something for MBY last year...all in a bit of a hurry but it then went very quiet and I don't think it ever appeared in the mag.

Getting back on topic our plans are to do another Thames cruise this year but with the intention of getting onto the non-tidal section above Teddington. Thinking of trying to get the boat closer before then to ensure the weather doesn't kybosh things....maybe Chatham or even one of the London marinas.....

Last edited:

mlines

www.sportsboat.org.uk
And beware of Narrow Boats.....

Just been rammed by a coal burning mobile flower box whilst we were happily moored up at Henley in the sun eating a bag of chips. Its not as if we were the only boat there, we were neatly moored in the line of boats along the bank.

Now waiting to get it back on the trailer to examine the damage :(

jfm

Visit site
Lisa here is a very dull vid, of a Sq65 that followed us down the thames after the 2011 London boat show. sorry it is more of the boat's hull than a sightseeing vid of the thames, but if you have a spare 3mins whie the kettle boils take a quick look

If you want my honest $0.02 having done it a few times (as far up as Putney), the bit up by Westminster is fun but there is a perfectly good train service for that :) The rest is pretty dull imho. You'd be much better giving the 500 miles of fuel money to Coast2Coast and taking the boat to the Med for a summer. Just sayin...

lisilou

Visit site
Lisa here is a very dull vid, of a Sq65 that followed us down the thames after the 2011 London boat show. sorry it is more of the boat's hull than a sightseeing vid of the thames, but if you have a spare 3mins whie the kettle boils take a quick look

If you want my honest $0.02 having done it a few times (as far up as Putney), the bit up by Westminster is fun but there is a perfectly good train service for that :) The rest is pretty dull imho. You'd be much better giving the 500 miles of fuel money to Coast2Coast and taking the boat to the Med for a summer. Just sayin...

What...and abandon this beautiful weather??? Don't be silly :p :D
L
:)

oldgit

Visit site
" You'd be much better giving the 500 miles of fuel money to Coast2Coast and taking the boat to the Med for a summer. Just sayin..."

If sitting in airless airport departure lounges at midnight waiting for the confirmation that the inbound flight from "Huddersfield International" has finally actually taken off and is on its way down to you and looking at the same brown scorched bit of coast for mile after mile as you bounce your way to the nearest sheltered Cala hoping that the other 50 boats from your marina have not beaten you to the only 5 square metres of sand left to drop your anchor in,then the "Med" may appeal.
Just sayin...:):):)

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site

Each to their own I guess. I can certainly see the attraction of the Med but I also thoroughly enjoyed taking my own boat through central London. This year we plan to get to the non-tidal section, which I understand is really quite pretty and a pleasure to cruise. The central London bit will be a bonus second time round.

Sulley

Visit site
As the others have said go through Teddington and come and visit us on the non-tidal Thames, we are all quite friendly!

You will love St Kats and going past all the sights, it's a great trip.

Or come and visit us on the Thames forum.....