Quite fancy a trip to The Thames...

Greg2

Visit site
Okay.....tutorial from lisilou on using Photoshop so here goes.....

Departure from the Crouch
DepartBradwell_zps7d6122c4.jpg

Our last boat with the QEII bridge in the background....
QEBridge_zpsc7e008c8.jpg

Some well known landmarks
Thames1_zps59a69d01.jpg

Thames2_zps1403853f.jpg

Thames3_zpsfdd035cd.jpg

Boarded by the Met....very friendly and courteous..
Thames3a_zps0db952ac.jpg

Thames4_zps2a5d71f6.jpg

Photo shoot outside Westminster....
Thames5_zpsab567e01.jpg

And the icing on the cake.....
Thames6_zps733ed0b2.jpg

lisilou

Visit site
Awesome pics Greg! That's it....I've gotta do it now!!! Thanks for those..they're inspiring.
L
:)

Paul...I do love it when you're forceful!! Yeh...gotta be done agreed.
L

baldyash

Visit site
We went a couple of years ago , definitely a must do but watch out for tons of rubbish. We picked up a very large dia. rope & had to have a diver out to clear!We were also intercepted by the Police nr gravesend. No problems & nice to have someone watching out. We overnighted at Imperial Wharf. Recommended. Diesel available opp. Parliament & o/s St.Kats.

dj43

Visit site
This used to be our cruising area, before we moved the boat south, as other,s have said, nothing beats going down the Thames in your own boat, one word of advice , make sure you get your passage plan right ,or you will find you have a long weight to get into St,Kats with no place to moor up,Chatham may be a better stop over,if you are with MDL. Had a few bumpy crossings but get the weather right and its great,

wonky

Visit site
I went a couple of years ago, brilliant trip, great to see London grow in size as you get nearer. Look out for the Thames clippers, they don't hang around! I got to just outside Oxford and had it trailered back, it actually worked out the same as the fuel cost and obviously less hours on the engine, plus it meant more time going further up the Thames. Worth a thought.

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com
plotting it now (out of interest and coz I love plotting stuff...yes I'm a neek!) and wow it's a long way from the Hamble!! Looks interesting tho. Always fancied passing the Houses of Parliament and going under Tower Bridge. D'you think they'd open it just for me?!?!
Whose done it and how was it? Looks interesting from Sth Foreland on.
L

Hi Lisilou.... have a peek here (all before the vidcam) !!.. the T60 is Victoria...Clive and Vicky's boat.. https://sites.google.com/site/s24thanksmum/home/st-katherine-s---southampton

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
If your coming any distance and going into St Kats or any of the London marinas,got to be worth doing the extra few hours up to Teddington.
EA recently have revised river charges,so just going in for a day or two is not expensive,a short distance beyond the lock could have you parked overnight for free outside Hampton Court Palace.

lisilou

Visit site
If your coming any distance and going into St Kats or any of the London marinas,got to be worth doing the extra few hours up to Teddington.
EA recently have revised river charges,so just going in for a day or two is not expensive,a short distance beyond the lock could have you parked overnight for free outside Hampton Court Palace.

This is sounding more and more like a definite must do. That sounds idillic OG...thanks.
L

oldgit

Visit site
This is sounding more and more like a definite must do. That sounds idillic OG...thanks.
L

....and only a bit further up would have you going past the front garden of her Majesty....just do not try stopping on the bank ,unless you fancy a v.brief conversation with couple of dark suited gentlemen arriving courtesy of a Black Range Rover.
Thames boaters of course a bunch of pampered whossies.Worth while going up there merely to observe them as they do their "boating" which usually involves standing on the deck drinking PIMMS while the lockeepers do all the hard work of holding nasty horrible ropes etc.

Corse every journry begine with a small step......so over to the Thames Forum.:)

Last edited:

thejonesey

Visit site
Hi Lisa

Yes I did do this trip last year and it was brilliant! We did Hamble to Ramsgate, Ramsgate to Limehouse, Limehouse to Windsor. This was a bit of a haul on the return but I had to get back to work.
For what it is worth we liked Limehouse but you have to plan backwards to get your timings right. St Kats looks great but more expensive and then if all else fails you can always head up to Imperial Wharf and more on the pier.
I did lots of planning because, like you, I also enjoy it! Would be very happy to chat about it and send you some of my stuff.
When you come into the Estuary for example, a lot of people use the "inner route" which is the Southern Route, shorter but shallower. You will need up to date charts! I perfer coming in via Princes Channel with the big ships.. much easier and you can bob along just outside the channel with no stress.
Link to my previous thread is http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...e-trip-pics-on-the-way!&p=3662074#post3662074

With lots of pics! Key things to work out if you decide to go non-tidal are: timings to get over Richmond Lock and then working locking speed (or lack off it) into your calculations. EG Windsor to Teddington (about 10 miles) 4 hours but Teddinton to Ramsgate (about 100 miles) 6 hours... i think! PM Me and I can let you have my number