Quick Windlass Problem

bugs

Visit site
I've just bought a 4yr old boat with a quick windlass which had spare footswitches that needed replacing. Having done that I find i only hear a click or whirring sound when i push the switches. After a few attempts the circuit breaker trips. Before i go dismantling it has anyone any experience or advice. I'm guessing the solenoids are ok and the motor is sticking and overheating causes the trip??
The outer appearance of the motor an gear drive isn't great.
The gypsy runs free when i drop anchor but winding back up with winch handle is impossible. I know its meant to be hard to do but this doesnt budge.
Thanks in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1>

davidwf

Visit site
If its a vertical winch they cannot be wound up by hand, the winch socket is just to release the clutch to allow it to pay out the chain under gravity.

As for the click make sure the engine is running mine seems to have some form of volatage sensor which prevents it running unless the engine is running. The Quick site has all the manuals
http://www.quickitaly.com/

<hr width=100% size=1>

bugs

Visit site
Thanks David,
Yes I've tried with engine revving -no joy unfort.

Your info on winching makes sense- the mechanism does turn a corner so i guess i'd be working against a worm or some form of gear.

Wish I'd placed query yesterday- it took me ages to find the quick website!!

<hr width=100% size=1>