Questions about Pelagic tiller pilot system

Romansoldier

Visit site
I have the Dutch version from PC Nautic and after initially not being able to work I received 2 resistors to fit on the ev100 head unit now they said to which wires to attach them but not what you attach the other end of the resistor to, I’m no good at electronics. Does the resistor connect to ground or live?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
In what way is it "not working"?

I believe the resistors are to make the potentiometer in the WX Hongba unit work like the Raymarine M81105 rotary rudder reference transducer. It is wired like this - a pot in the middle and a resister at each side. More info from Raymarine.

You can test the movement of the motor with flyleads from your boat's battery or even, I think, using one of the small square 9v batteries which are used home electronics (carbon monoxide alarms etc.)

You can test and identify the potentiometer using a multimeter - if I recollect it's 10kΩ from the factory, although I guess PC Nautic may have changed it. What value of resisters did they supply? (DM me a pic if you like)

Romansoldier

Visit site
I will have a look when i get to the boat, i'm pretty basic when it comes to wiring all i understand is pos and neg so when i received the resistors and the instructions after id returned the unit to Holland to be tested the instructions said fit them to "x" wire and "y" wire that wasnt very helpfull as it didnt state what to attach the other end of the resistor to. It may be obvious to some to to me i need to know what to attach each end of the resistor to.
At the minute when connected to the EV100 the ram just moves very small distance slowly so cannot keep up with the movement of the boat but if I attach a 9v battery i can move the ram at full speed, to make it simple I have hard wired a 9v fly lead into the head unit to save me climbing into the back of the lazarette to access the EV head unit when i use the 9v battery.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
As you can hear me observe in the above video, the ram does indeed move more slowly when my Raymarine Smart Pilot is on standby and the + and - buttons are being used to control it. But I'm pretty sure this is intentional on Raymarine's part (not sure why) as it moves faster when the autopilot is actually engaged.

I would have assumed the resistors were for wiring in series with the ram's potentiometer in order to provide rudder position feedback. If that's the intent then let me know, although really you should have started your own thread about this and not hijacked someone else's.

If you're not confident with electronics this way, maybe you should hire a marine electrician to sort it out.