Question re tripping elec on berth?

mjkinch1

Visit site
I am currently in Ibiza on a visitors pontoon. The first night all air con works great, but last couple of nights it trips after about 20-30 minutes on the berth (internal tripis ok).

Its a lot hotter the last day or so, and there are more boats, so its is more likely to be an inadequate supply of electricity, or the chances are its something on the boat?

rickp

Visit site
Then I'd guess that there is a fault somewhere on one of the boats served by that RCD. Its not your immersion heater again is it? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You didn't borrow RogerRat's kettle, did you - its famous for tripping out Weymouth....

Rick

Sneds

Visit site
Try turning everything off before plugging in.
Then turn everything on one at a time to see what trips it out.
Cookers and kettles are reknowned for leaking to earth, not sure about air-con, you could try wearing shorts /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

alan006

Visit site
This is an interesting one. Some electrical pedestals have several outlets which are individually current rated but share an RCD for the whole box. This means a neighbouring boat with an RCD fault will trip out all the users of that box when that particular circuit comes into play. If the fault is on your boat then why is your RCD not tripping?

mjkinch1

Visit site
well I did blow it whilst using a kettle, so got a new 500w one that takes forever to brew.

Anyway could it be the elec supply through the berth? If I draw too much would it blow the trip swith on the pontoon?

Just need to knowif it is something on teh boat......

alan006

Visit site
re Sneddon
You are of course absolutely correct. When in my very limited experience with these trips if it has been tripping repeatedly in the past it is likely to become trip happy. I understand that a typical rating for a marina electrical pedestal would be 30mA sustained for more than 30msecs. I've no idea what the ratings are overseas.

Nat

Visit site
Ive found in my marina. Trip on boat = fault on boat, Trip on Pontoon fault more likely to be along pontoon. ie shorepower lead hanging in water. found that prob lots of times.However Im not an electrician & only making an observation based on personal experience
Will be in cruising over to Ibiza for a couple of weeks 0n Mon 25th June. Will watch out for you
Nat

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Hi Martyn. Go and complain to the marina office. They'll charge you for leccy so make sure you get it. Is there a choice of 30A and 60A sockets in the leccy box? If so, get an adaptor and use the 60A socket. If you still have a prob, use the gennie, even in the marina
Where are you, btw and how's it going?

blueglass

Visit site
this one is forever. If the pontoon end trips out repeatedly and boat end is OK - I usually just find another socket. If the load you are drawing for your boat exceeds the trip limit, you just need to start switching things off until you find a level. In my experience pontoon trips in UK and abroad are notoriously trigger happy. - a pain.

st599

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
this one is forever. If the pontoon end trips out repeatedly and boat end is OK - I usually just find another socket. If the load you are drawing for your boat exceeds the trip limit, you just need to start switching things off until you find a level. In my experience pontoon trips in UK and abroad are notoriously trigger happy. - a pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

But less of a pain than no trip in a fault situation.