Quality coffee in a Tea bag!! Making coffee on a boat never been so good

MrB

Visit site
I don't know but I suspect that for espresso bitterness is not considered a great problem.

AS for Mr B and his Aero whatsit I would suggest that if he wants espresso he should look to the Italians who came up with the idea; it's what they have done for a very long time/ Espresso came from Venice when it was an independent city state and coffee was a very expensive product. It was a way of demonstrating wealth and prestige by creating a brew which used the maximum amount of coffee to make the smallest volume of the desired drink.

"Ennui: Can I be bothered?" ;) Life's too short :cool: I enjoy great coffee daily :encouragement:

Last edited:

mcframe

Visit site
Why on earth would I want to do that? I have used an italian stove top espresso pot for about 30 years and it does exactly what the aerobie does without me having to pump it. Boiling the water in a confined container generates the pressure to drive the steam through the coffee grounds and then to condense in the top half of the pot. It's what the Italians have been doing for over a hundred years

Aeropress gets my vote.

I tried using #2 moka pot (not my decent Lavazza one) on the boat ; after two winters the not-polished, not-ally metal had corroded. Plastic doesn't. Aeropress rather closer to espresso, but stove-top is also fine, in its own way.

Is anyone able to address the yang-problem to this ones ying?
How to keep a maximum of eight ice cubes frozen, in the minimum of space, with the minimum of electricity.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Why on earth would I want to do that? I have used an italian stove top espresso pot for about 30 years and it does exactly what the aerobie does without me having to pump it. Boiling the water in a confined container generates the pressure to drive the steam through the coffee grounds and then to condense in the top half of the pot. It's what the Italians have been doing for over a hundred years

I found the Aeropress is better a sea for a number of reasons:

The aeropress is easier to put coffee into at sea - less coffee grinds around the galley, less cleaning up - one measure, plop into the aeropress.
No messing around with water levels
You don't have to wash up the aeropress or leave it to cool before tapping the filter thing until the grinds come out.
You can make from 1-4 cups easily - press into a warmed ikea stainless steel jug to pour neatly
If you're making an Americano it only takes up one ring on the stove, the other can be used for frying the bacon.
It takes 30 seconds longer than boiling the kettle, and you can have a second cup or make a second batch straight away without buring yourself on the stove top pot.

I used to swear by my stove top, but the Aeropress has so many more advantages on a boat.

prv

Visit site
How to keep a maximum of eight ice cubes frozen, in the minimum of space, with the minimum of electricity.

We just use one of those ice-cube bags, and hang it from the fridge plumbing so that it's pressed against the cold plate. Takes a bit longer to freeze than it would at home, but it gets there in the end.

Pete

mcframe

Visit site
We just use one of those ice-cube bags, and hang it from the fridge plumbing so that it's pressed against the cold plate. Takes a bit longer to freeze than it would at home, but it gets there in the end.

Thanks, that's worth a try.

(You knew I converted my coolbox into a powered fridge a couple of years ago, right? ;-)

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Just bought an Aeropress for this reason - the grounds end up as a solid 'puck' that can go straight in the bin. The few that stick to the plunger can easily go down a boat sink.

Makes decent coffee - perhaps not quite as good as a a cafetiere (at least for lighter blends of coffee). It's a bit small thought - a couple of mugs at best per go.

I have just acquired an Aeropress at home and love it. Works best with beans bought from the local Italian coffee shop. Great coffee

TS

haydude

Visit site
I had to share this

Lyons Coffee break smooth all day coffee 18 individually wrapped coffee bags!
http://lyonscoffeeuk.com

OMG! You are using bags for a pressure coffe machine as tea bags! How can you call THAT good?
LOL

Beside, I thought that coffee in England was terrible, until I tried coffee in the US. On my return to England, English coffee tasted sooo good!

Last edited:

Jamesuk

Visit site
OMG! You are using bags for a pressure coffe machine as tea bags! How can you call THAT good?
LOL

Beside, I thought that coffee in England was terrible, until I tried coffee in the US. On my return to England, English coffee tasted sooo good!

The Nespresso machine with Aeroccino is at home :-( a posh present and a money safer vs daily morning Costa before work. but on a boat you need a stonking big inverter/AC to run one.

The lyons coffee is good. Compared to instant, it is amazing!

But Nespresso pod shot capsules are good but compared to coffee in southern Sardina where it is served strong about 20mls worth its rubbish. Ha well novalty factor may be cloudimg my judgement on that once in a lifetime experience.

If its 1am freezing cold and im sailing a UKSA 67ft yacht with a miserable crew. I love a 'Nescafe Gold Blend Instant and add a 'pour of milk and two sugars' it smooths it out i find.

Costa is a UK company and they really have over taken Starbucks around the SW of the UK i find (motorways, Wightlink, Tesco)

Last edited:

Nunfa1

Visit site
Hi all, first post here. I registered to look at some pictures of a potential boat I'm thinking of buying.
Anyway, coffee on the go. We camp regularly and my Wife loves her fresh coffee, I can't see what all the fuss is about. Tea, on the hand, that must be fresh leaves, not teabags. At home I have several teapots with built in strainers but they're glass or ceramic, not ideal for camping, or boating I imagine. The solution was a Smartcafe mug. It's a plastic mug with built in cafetiere plunger. The mesh is fine enough to work with tea leaves as well as coffee.
They will be in the first bag aboard when we finally buy our boat.