Quaggas in thames

GFox

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience with Quagga in the thames. I'd read they'd been found there. As they're an invasive species do any spottings need to be reported?

The Glassman

Visit site
Definitely now in the Thames according to Gov.uk. Have been reported in various north and west London reservoirs too - and, apparently in the R. Colne.
Keep your raw water gate valves shut if mooring-up for any longish time! Haven't seen any requests/demands that we try to identify and report them though.
They'll probably end up being part of the ever-changing UK aquatic ecosystem, like signal crayfish, zebra mussels, mitten crabs, Wels catfish, terrapins, floating pennywort, Asian cormorants etc., etc.
How on earth can you eradicate these things?

GFox

Visit site
Bit late back into the thread but I've read draining, a blast with hot water and disinfectant when giving your boat and any parts of the boat in contact with water a clean should do the trick of killing anything, as long as its dried. Apparently mussels often get caught in motors and valves.

Actionmat

Visit site
I saw a boat lifted at Shepperton a few years ago, absolute encrusted in them. Lift out staff jet washed the lot off and blasted them back into the marina. If I moored there I'd be fuming. Maybe they've changed their practices since there was a change of management? I certainly hope so.

GFox

Visit site
I saw a boat lifted at Shepperton a few years ago, absolute encrusted in them. Lift out staff jet washed the lot off and blasted them back into the marina. If I moored there I'd be fuming. Maybe they've changed their practices since there was a change of management? I certainly hope so.
That's awful. I think DEFRA have a lot of monitoring and money going into preventing further spread from the thames, so stuff like this should really not be happening. If shepperton is infested with them they should probably be giving people moored there some guidance. Hopefully they've got their act together since

Actionmat

Visit site
Could someone who's been there more recently than me or had a lift out confirm? Do they shovel everything they jet wash off into containers or does it still get blown back into the water?

GFox

Visit site
Apparently running your boat twice a week if left in water helps stop mussels settling in the motor...

sarabande

Visit site
Any mussel that 'settles' inside a motor will die because of anoxia. Those with access to fresh water as in the entrance to a cooling inlet will survive.

You really do need either to learn about marine biology, or just get on and use the boat without repeatedly expressing your unfounded worries on the forum.

here'sa good course

Marine Biology Course | Distance Learning | UK Open College

and there are even free ones around.

Mark26

Visit site
I opened my weed hatch today, and on the inside at the bottom were lots of very small shellfish attached to the sides. I’ve no idea what they were but they were dispatched with the aid of a wire brush.
The boat was last out of the water in 2019 and is coming out again this year, It’ll be interesting to see what we find.

GFox

Visit site
Any mussel that 'settles' inside a motor will die because of anoxia. Those with access to fresh water as in the entrance to a cooling inlet will survive.

You really do need either to learn about marine biology, or just get on and use the boat without repeatedly expressing your unfounded worries on the forum.

here'sa good course

Marine Biology Course | Distance Learning | UK Open College

and there are even free ones around.
I'd just seen a few articles from the us where they're pretty widespread that said to watch out for the motor. I just wanted to be careful about spreading them as I'm mooring in the Thames. They're obviously not good for the environment and are on harmful invasive species lists. Sorry I've been posting a lot I should have just stuck to one thread.

GFox

Visit site
@Mark26, did you end up getting your boat out, was it infested with them? I got mine out last week, and there were quite a few attached to the hull.

CJL

Visit site
Swansea university did a study and found boat ramps are a major way the mussels spread
Controls needed to stop zebra mussels invading Great Britain
Problem is that boat ramps are largely unloved by their owners and viewed as nothing more than a liability. I would gladly pay to use a proper slipway with parking, decent concrete, wash down area etc. Nobody seems interested and even the sites that are suffering invasive species such as Grafham, are loosing their enthusiasm to tackle them effectively.
Community Infrastructure Levy or Section 108 agreements should be placed on big developments next to the rivers/lakes/sea to build and maintain proper infrastructure to enable safe boating and prevent invasive species. We are missing such a trick to have proper safe, appropriate and well funded infrastructure.