Pwllheli - Any good for Selling?

Chris771

Ormskirk UK, Cabinda, Gabon or Paphos, Cyprus
Visit site
Went to Bangor today, got soaked in pouring rain and hitched up Polar Fox to tow her down to Pwllheli.

This was done on the rationale that there are more powerboats in Pwllheli and it may be easier to sell her there.

Not having been there before I was quite surprised at the sheer number of powerboats up for sale in the various brokerages. Some fairly new boats appeared to be quite neglected with torn canopies flapping in the wind and filling with water.

So this raised another question. Have I done the right thing? Do boats sell at Pwllheli or is it overstocked well beyond the purchasing capability of visiting boaters?

Anyway, when I unhitched, I got another good soaking for my troubles.

So if anyone has any experiences of selling at Pwllheli I would be grateful.

Thanks

Chris

www.impact-computers.net/boat/cruiser.htm

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well; i tried to sell mine in Puffhely. Its like trying to sell rocking horse shit. But sold it in Scotland within two weeks and for about 8 grand more Puffhely is a grave yard for then that darnt go either north ner south IMHO.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

tcm

Visit site
Re: Pith Welly

Can't be much kop can it? Abersock nearby is good for small sailyboats, but the only buyer hereabouts is davide and he's already got one boat, thinking of another and may have spent remaining dosh on 2 tons of fish and chips at criccieth. Aklso fears that he'll get laffed at for being a stinkie.

There's another chap near poothily woothily at Park My Dog who is sole powerboaty, as in understand. Both will soon lash in to me but hlb started it and lives nearer so i will sneak off to car park and bomb off down the A5...

oldgit

Visit site
Can only comment as ex buyer.Went all over Engerrrrlannd looking at assorted craft but Whales was in "here be dragons land".Just a bit to far from where most buyers will be ie. the south east.

Chris771

Visit site
Where did you sell it in Scotland Haydn? Is Conway any better than Piffely? She has lain at Bangor for about 6 weeks with interest but no offers.

As new boat arrives in 3 weeks I need to be pro-active and keep moving her to where she will sell as I don't really need 2 boats.

Can't live far from you Haydn, I've towed her 130 miles one way, so guess I'll leave her there a few weeks till I get back from Africa next and then try a couple of hundred in the other direction if no offers by then.

Suppose if I keep on towing her up and down the M6 that burns some diesel and keeps me in a job digging it out again!

Chris

KevL

Visit site
Syd and I both bought boats from Conwy (no 'a' in it). If you live mid to north England and you are going looking at boats for sale then Conwy marina is on the way to Bangor so you look there first. When I purchased my boat I was on the way to look at one in Bangor but never actually got there.

Out of intrest there is absolutely no way I would travel all the way to Poffely with no decent route from north east to west Wales, I'd sooner look on the south coast, more boats, easy route etc. IMHO

--
Tides - Never there when you need one.
Wind - Always there when you don't.

KevL<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by KevL on Sat Jun 15 16:05:59 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
But I dont live in Aferica Chris. Scotland for some reason, is much better for selling boats and not much further than Puffely. Try troon or Largs or even Kip. Cos there easier to spell. Dont know any other reason why, but boat bring much more money in Scotland. And quicker. IMHO of course. Cant help with Conway but thats Welsh as well.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

Chris771

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the advice. Guess that Polar Fox is due to start her Scottish tour soon then.

Haydn, I don't live in Africa, just go there each month to earn money to invest (?) in boats, try W. Lancs.

Presently processing all the Ribble Link Membership renewals, once I have worked my way through that pile I'll start looking at Scottish Marinas. Back to Malabo on Tuesday for couple of weeks, so it will be mid July before the next move.

Chris

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Chris, not sure about stinkpot sales in PW, prices of rag & sticks are up there with the rest of them, if not dearer. Condition of boats on sale you mention could be 'cause folk have so much dosh can't be bothered to look after them, or could be the dealers. Some are OK, others, well you need to do some research.

If only I'd known you were there.....I needed a tow.

tcm, you are only jealous about the Welsh Riveria and the fact that it is 24 hour access for normal boats and you can't park your maisonette in the marina.

haydn, I think you made a wise move leaving PW. (you couldn't persuade a few hundred other stinkies to go and join you, could you, this would then free up the 3-4 year wait to get a berth):))

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Yes very pleased to leave puffely. Left for Troon and the West Coast of Scotland. But sold boat by accident. Puffely is a good Marina. But theres no where to go. Well not after three years there anyway. You can go to Port Mad Dog. If the tide is in. Drop the anchor in Abersoc for a cup of tea in a paper cup.
Grant you that a trip to Bardsey is unforgetable and Nefin is very appealing. Less the weather changes. But really theres only Ireland to go to, which is great. But a bit of a hike every trip.

----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

tcm

Visit site
Pwllheli - The Cannes of the north

Look you boyo. Bet I cd get in there easy peasy - only draw 1.7 mteres. If there's "hundreds" in there already they could nudge up a bit.

Also, the 3-4 years waiting is just some ole crap that Jones the Harbour gives to yorkshirey types to keepem out or on their toes - bet it isn't 3-4 years if you buy a boat from Jones the Snaglist is it?

david_e

Re: Canned Pwllheli

Only 1.7 metres, that works out at about £1m per metre, reckon you've been done pal. My benny was less than 10k a metre and she draws 1.7 as well (and I'll bet yours doesn't lift up either?)

david_e

Actually, having just had a gander at your bateau and notwithstanding any other poignant comments, it looks a reasonable proposition. Difference between PW and the South is the number of potential buyers, wouldn't bother with Scotland, if they were interested enough they would travel down, mainly 'cause of higher prices and lesser stock in Jockland. There is plenty of Park & launch space at PW so that should not deter buyers either, you need some nice sunny weather!

Being as you have the site set up, have you tried the internet brokerages?