Protecting sprayhood from flexible solar panel sharp edges

eebygum

Visit site
I’ve received the two 100W flexible solar panels I’m planning to install on my Westerly Storm, one of which I’m considering putting on top of the sprayhood.

The edges of the panel are very sharp so I’m worried with time they will rub through the sprayhood; has anybody come up with a clever solution to stop this ?

My thoughts are one or all of…. a rubber edge strip all round, raising the panel slightly to stop the edges touching the fabric or maybe adding reinforcing webbing at the touch points ?

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
What sort of “flexible” panels are they? Our ones were mounted on something like GRP backing plates - which could be drilled to attach security ropes. Ours had smooth edges but could have been smoothed using a Surform, file or sandpaper.
Also the edges of ours are attached via industrial / 50mm Velcro which means the edges never touch the sprayhood. Been on for 8 years through all weathers and many severe winter storms with no wear.

andsarkit

Visit site
I have also got some folding panels to go on the sprayhood this season. I was planning to make a pad from a sheet of polyethylene closed cell foam which was left over packing material.

Davy_S

Visit site
Pinch the corners from your wifes clothes airer!
1253942_R_Z001A

eebygum

Visit site
What sort of “flexible” panels are they? Our ones were mounted on something like GRP backing plates - which could be drilled to attach security ropes. Ours had smooth edges but could have been smoothed using a Surform, file or sandpaper.
Also the edges of ours are attached via industrial / 50mm Velcro which means the edges never touch the sprayhood. Been on for 8 years through all weathers and many severe winter storms with no wear.
Their Renogy panels like these

100 Watt 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel

I’m trying to get all the bits I need before I go down to the boat next week as I’m then immediately off cruising for 4 weeks, bringing the boat back from Poole to Anglesey. Knowing my luck, I won’t get much sunshine anyway !

dunedin

Visit site
Their Renogy panels like these

100 Watt 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel

I’m trying to get all the bits I need before I go down to the boat next week as I’m then immediately off cruising for 4 weeks, bringing the boat back from Poole to Anglesey. Knowing my luck, I won’t get much sunshine anyway !
Difficult to tell precisely from the photos, but I am surprised that the edges would be sharp - and looks like they could just be sanded smooth and any sharp corners removed.
Key issues are
(a) How are you going to attach them to the sprayhood, if fitting there - as noted above we used 50mm Velcro, stuck to panels but needed sewing to sprayhood. We also got small loops added to tie in corners for hurricane proofing
(b) How are you going to route the cables below? Probbaly need deck glands of some type
Assume already have the MPPT controller sorted out

Last edited:

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
the edges aren't sharp enough to worry a spray hood. If you are worried just run some sandpaper over them. The Plastic is quite soft and you can drill or even melt holes in it to meet your fixing needs.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Have a look at the YouTube channel Sailing Madness, they have fitted some solar panels on their sprayhood and are using what looks like some canvas fittings to keep them in place.

Rappey

Visit site
I folded webbing around the edges and stuck it on with a hot glue gun. Sewed some tabs to the spray hood to tie to the panel.