Props slipping

dog

Visit site
Hi, used the boat for the first time in a couple of weeks on Sunday and noticed under hard acceleration the props sounded like they were struggling for grip. Doesnt seem to be any bad fouling as she was lifted an cleaned about 6 weeks ago. I had this one or two times last season but didnt think too much of it. Could it be that the boat is slightly under propped? Twin Volvo D3 130s on SX single prop drives- engines reach 4000rpm WOT.

Any ideas anyone?

[2068]

Visit site
Possible, but unlikely that the rubber bit has failed on engines & drives so new.

How were the outdrives trimmed when this happened? It can help to have the drives trimmed right down before accelerating. Also with single props, it might be that hard acceleration with the single props is causing cavitation, where tiny bubbles are formed and collapse, which will eat away at your props, in which case the solution is to accelerate more progressively: or buy duoprop drives !!!

dv.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Unlikely to have failed on both props at the same time

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Brian you're right, millions to one chance of happening to both at the same time. I read the thread and it triggered a problem I had some years back (with a single engine)

Hurricane

Visit site
Are you sure it isnt cavitating?
Get this all the time on RIBs when the trim isnt correct.
I just trim it out.
Just a thought.
I dont know if this sort of thing happens on the bigger boats.

[2068]

Visit site
no probs, churlish to moan really, seeing as I did exactly the same to LakeSailor just the other week... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dog

Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas folks- I think that maybe it is a small amount of weed. Ive only ever had this problem after the boat has stood for several weeks- during the summer with regular use it doesnt seem to happen. I had duoprops on my last boat, and not once did they slip- perhaps its just an ism with single props.

duncan

Visit site
DP's are more tolerant, and will chop up long strands a bit too, but will still suffer - my BIII certainly does when the weed stands growing on the props are over a few inches long......... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
as the boat is moored in shallow warm water with a good flow this can only take 4-6 weeks!