Property in the Med

NorthernWave

Visit site
My parents have decided to buy a property in the Med, they have set their heart on the Greek Island of Paxos or Antipaxos (No idea if thats how you spell it).
Do any of you people know of any good sites for property searches and also what restriction do the Greeks have on boating around the islands?

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Don't know about property searches, I'm afraid, though Greece tends to be a place where knowing a local figure will make problems melt away.

As far as I know, there aren't huge restrictions on boating in the islands though you need ICC to helm just about anything with an engine. Military installations are a sensitive matter and if (as I seem to recall, p'raps wrongly) Paxos is in the Dodecanese, there may be no-go areas due to the proximity with Turkey. Conditions can be quite windy, even on the many sunny days, hence sea state is not always of the millpond variety. Almost all beaches are public, even in remote places, so signs saying "private" should be treated with contempt except for a few privately owned islands, such as Skorpios.

From my backpacking studenty days, the main obstacle to progress is to have a funny accent and ambitions to invade Poland. Many of the older generation of Greeks have not forgotten the 2nd World War or the civil war that followed it. Generally, however, if you are English you will be greeted with an enthusiasm that we don't always deserve!

I passed some of the best days of my mis-spent youth in the Greek Islands; pure magic and wonderful people.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Divemaster1

Visit site
Seem to recall some restrictions about motorboats, but that may actually just apply to boats not registered in Greece and the "customs clearance" of the vessel when entering Greek teritorial waters. Also they are sensitive about their military installations.

You may find some helpful hints here (useful sailing hints at least);

http://www.olympicyachtcharters.com/

<hr width=100% size=1>Alf

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I\'m completely and utterly wrong

Paxos is in the Ionian Islands, south of Corfu (I was thinking of Patmos).

Can still be quite windy, though less so than the Dodecanese; in fact the Ionian Sea is a brilliant area for rag 'n stick activities. The adjoining Islands of Corfu and Zakynthos (Zante) have some best-to-avoid tourist destinations and Cephalonia is suffering an attack of popularity in the wake of Captain Corelli and his sodding mandolin.

I wonder if Paxos still has "The Paxos Express": a delapidated coach that sped, at about 20 mph, across the island every day?

<hr width=100% size=1>