Prop Strike at Henley Public Moorings. Just to make clear.

apollo

Visit site
If you are so concerned, why not be public spirited, borrow a marker from Jonnie Hobbs and go lay it? As you claim this to be a safety issue, shoulder the collective responsibility placed on all of us under the H&S Act 1974 (if you believe that is pertinent).

Not when i am paying £800 a year for EA to manage the navigation i wont.

Chill

Visit site
moored just downstream of that spot this weekend and you can clearly see the old concrete and rocks.
No signs were displayed anywhere

Old Crusty

Visit site
Then stop whining on here and complain to Barry Russell and his beloved team leader for the reach, Carol Morgan.

oldgit

Visit site
....to clarify a little more .The river was most certainly not low.
The water was definately at or around the levels one would consider normal observing the riverbank or shuttering.
Having had the odd year or two of practice mooring to river banks mostly in probably shallow water, one tends to take notice.
One does sometimes expect a delicate tinkle of gravel on prop blade as opposed to mighty thud and stalled engine after an encounter with lump of concrete a metre or two out from the bank . :)

Still no response from HBC.

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
As I walked to the town I noticed that the sign ( which couldn't be read from a boat ) has fallen to pieces.

Sp there is no notice at all.

Seem to recall a couple of printed A4 sheets,they may or may not gone to the expence of laminating them .

apollo

Visit site
[Content removed]

Well, whoever you are - it seems that being a "whingy git" has reaped some progress..Email from Barry Russell:-
"Henley Town Council will be joining us on one of our patrol launches to mark the obstruction and discuss its removal on September 7"

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I have been reading this thread and the " Weed at Port Meadow " one.

I think that the upset boaters might reflect on the lot of canal boaters in the early seventies when I started.

On a trip down the South Stratford when the restoration carried out by the National Trust needed doing again and before the BWB took it over we encountered lock gates with missing balance beams. These required lassoeing and pulling open and shut. Another gate that refused to open enough to let the boat out. This had a dead sheep behind it! very smelly!
One other major lock problem was bulging brickwork " pinching " the side of the boat and holding it tight.

By pulling into the rear of the lock, giving the engine full noise and opening the top paddles we flushed it out.

There are many shallow places on rivers. If you use craft with unprotected propellers you WILL hit the bottom and obstructions from time to time.

C'est la vie..................................

AuntyRinum

Visit site
There are many shallow places on rivers. If you use craft with unprotected propellers you WILL hit the bottom and obstructions from time to time.

C'est la vie..................................
Not usually on public moorings where you are being charged £10 per day.

oldgit

Visit site

Somebody has got to pay for the very attractive young lady in the brand new Transit which skidded to a halt a few micro seconds after we secured the ropes to the river bank. :)
Did admire her driving skills in not actually knocking over anybody actually walking on the narrow pedestrian tow path running alongside the river .
Bit to much effort to put one leg in front of the other and walk to collect the cash one supposes. :)

Last edited:

Actionmat

Visit site
Anyone who can afford to drink in Henley and eat in it's overpriced and very average restaurants can afford to lose £10 and the odd properellor. For the life of me I can't see why people bother to stop there, like Reading, its best viewed from the boat while passing it.

apollo

Visit site
Anyone who can afford to drink in Henley and eat in it's overpriced and very average restaurants can afford to lose £10 and the odd properellor. For the life of me I can't see why people bother to stop there, like Reading, its best viewed from the boat while passing it.

So where along the Thames are the best restaurants then?

oldgit

Visit site
Anyone who can afford to drink in Henley and eat in it's overpriced and very average restaurants can afford to lose £10 and the odd propeller. For the life of me I can't see why people bother to stop there, like Reading, its best viewed from the boat while passing it.

and there spaketh a man with no grandkids and /or one would suspect no kids either.
This may come as totally unexpected to DINKies and a closed world but.......
Henley has ,in my expert opinion two of the most well kept and finest play areas in the entire known universe.
Add the odd funfair, the ice cream parlour and you have G/P paradise.:):):).
For those of us with actual "friends",easy for them to find and park as well.
Well worth a mingy Tenner and the odd dinged prop or two :):):)

Last edited:

Actionmat

Visit site
and there spaketh a man with no grandkids and /or one would suspect no kids either.
This may come as totally unexpected to DINKies and a closed world but.......
Henley has ,in my expert opinion two of the most well kept and finest play areas in the entire known universe.
Add the odd funfair, the ice cream parlour and you have G/P paradise.:):):).
For those of us with actual "friends",easy for them to find and park as well.
Well worth a mingy Tenner and the odd dinged prop or two :):):)

Having just spent 2 weeks cruising the Thames with two young kids, I can safely say that the most child(and adult)friendly place on the river has to be The Bounty.
Closely followed by Wallingford and Abingdon for play parks, pubs and restaurants. And Didcot Steam Railway. But what child would want a ride on the Flying Scotsman, when they could have a free go on the swings while laughing at men in pink trousers?:D