Prop Strike at Henley Public Moorings. Just to make clear.

apollo

Visit site
Having just spent 2 weeks cruising the Thames with two young kids, I can safely say that the most child(and adult)friendly place on the river has to be The Bounty.
Closely followed by Wallingford and Abingdon for play parks, pubs and restaurants.

Yeah i think all these are pretty much on the money too! Just checking

Cashbuyer

Visit site
I have been reading this thread and the " Weed at Port Meadow " one.

I think that the upset boaters might reflect on the lot of canal boaters in the early seventies when I started.

On a trip down the South Stratford when the restoration carried out by the National Trust needed doing again and before the BWB took it over we encountered lock gates with missing balance beams. These required lassoeing and pulling open and shut. Another gate that refused to open enough to let the boat out. This had a dead sheep behind it! very smelly!
One other major lock problem was bulging brickwork " pinching " the side of the boat and holding it tight.

By pulling into the rear of the lock, giving the engine full noise and opening the top paddles we flushed it out.

There are many shallow places on rivers. If you use craft with unprotected propellers you WILL hit the bottom and obstructions from time to time.

C'est la vie..................................

I see no one else has bothered to reply to your post.

We all know there are shallows and or obstructions in the river ( we pulled up a pram frame once on the end of an outdrive when mooring near Teddington) and you need to keep a look out when mooring. But to state there are obstructions from time to time completely misses the point about the original post.
Clearly a 'dumped piece of concrete' is not a casual obstruction and somebody needs to be held to account.
If you're happy to have to repair your outdrive/prop/shaft at your own expense because of some moron's thoughtless, lazy work ethic, then more fool you.
Dead sheep and canals is not relevant.

oldgit

Visit site
Having just spent 2 weeks cruising the Thames with two young kids, I can safely say that the most child(and adult)friendly place on the river has to be The Bounty.
Closely followed by Wallingford and Abingdon for play parks, pubs and restaurants. And Didcot Steam Railway. But what child would want a ride on the Flying Scotsman, when they could have a free go on the swings while laughing at men in pink trousers?:D

Yea but the playgrounds at Henley have QR codes and stories :)

CX54WEK

Visit site
and there spaketh a man with no grandkids and /or one would suspect no kids either.
This may come as totally unexpected to DINKies and a closed world but.......
Henley has ,in my expert opinion two of the most well kept and finest play areas in the entire known universe.
Add the odd funfair, the ice cream parlour and you have G/P paradise.:):):).
For those of us with actual "friends",easy for them to find and park as well.
Well worth a mingy Tenner and the odd dinged prop or two :):):)

That is Henley struck off our list of places to visit on our Thames trip next summer!

AuntyRinum

Visit site
Anyone who can afford to drink in Henley and eat in it's overpriced and very average restaurants can afford to lose £10 and the odd properellor. For the life of me I can't see why people bother to stop there, like Reading, its best viewed from the boat while passing it.
There is a Weatherspoon in Hart Street just up from the bridge which, judging by what you write, would suit you very well; white wine from pressure guns and everything cheap.
I had lunch in Phyllis Court last week. You wouldn't have liked that.

apollo

Visit site
There is a Weatherspoon in Hart Street just up from the bridge which, judging by what you write, would suit you very well; white wine from pressure guns and everything cheap.
I had lunch in Phyllis Court last week. You wouldn't have liked that.

don't you mean Syphilis Court?

No Regrets

Visit site
Catchy name...

Henley is fine, and can't be passed by. CAU is well worth a visit too, a bit on the dear side but the best steaks on the river, and opposite the church where Dusty Springfields pretty little grave can be easily seen as pre-dinner entertainment...

Chris_d

Visit site
but still

NO Pound
Shop...!!!! GRRR
But loads of charity shops with stuff for a pound :)

I found it amusing when going to the cash point in Henley, my local one when asking for the amount of cash I wanted had options for £5, £10, £20, £40, £60, £100, other. The Henley cash point offered £20, £40, £80, £100, £200, £400 other !

oldgit

Visit site
When I tried to use my Co_op card at Henley it refused to cooperate at all. "Card not recognised "
It instantly coughed up with Mastercard. !

Chris_d

Visit site
When I tried to use my Co_op card at Henley it refused to cooperate at all. "Card not recognised "
It instantly coughed up with Mastercard. !

Whats a co-op card ? :)

Back to the OP, aren't the EA sending a launch out today to find your obstruction?

Fear its the same one that B1 photographed and was simply pushed out a bit deeper rather than lift it out.

Old Crusty

Visit site
B1 might have been joining the crew, expect he will brief us later. EA manual handling policy might prevent the lump being lifted by men assuming they can locate it so I'm holding my breath.

Old Crusty

Visit site
Correction, it is tomorrow, B1 is joining the crew that will include the longest serving patrol boat officer who knows the river bed well, he told me.

Old Crusty

Visit site
I went to PCC for lunch recently, got ticked off by the staff for putting my jacket on the back of my chair in the restaurant. It's like the wardroom or officers' mess without warmth or humour.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Correction, it is tomorrow, B1 is joining the crew that will include the longest serving patrol boat officer who knows the river bed well, he told me.
Well that's my cover blown ! I understand Henley Town Council will also be involved so hope that between us we can get to the "bottom" of this.
Old Crusty - much as I enjoy you winding up Apollo he is bombarding me with PMs trying to suss your identity - I think I need a haircut !

Old Crusty

Visit site
There are so many battles worth fighting for. The ones not worth fighting are the insecure battles that rage in another person’s mind. For example: who am I? When I have solved that I shall reveal all. Meanwhile, relax.