Prop Strike at Henley Public Moorings. Just to make clear.

oldgit

Visit site
What ever it was the propeller nearest to the riverbank hit......
The boat stern quarter was at least a metre possibly two from the bank and the prop about metre inboard of that.
We draw 1 metre.
The obstruction would be at least two metres or more out into the river in order for the propeller to have come in contact with it.
By the impact sound it was probably stone or concrete.
The location would be a boat length or so just upstream of the new bit of shuttering.
On our return after lift out there was a narrow boat moored in the spot.
If there were any warning notices there were certainly not apparent or readable from the river.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
What ever it was the propeller nearest to the riverbank hit......
The boat stern quarter was at least a metre possibly two from the bank and the prop about metre inboard of that.
We draw 1 metre.
The obstruction would be at least two metres or more out into the river in order for the propeller to have come in contact with it.
By the impact sound it was probably stone or concrete.
The location would be a boat length or so just upstream of the new bit of shuttering.
On our return after lift out there was a narrow boat moored in the spot.
If there were any warning notices there were certainly not apparent or readable from the river.
Taken this morning (at my request - thank you Trev) by a passing boater
- pics of area of new camp shedding with two notices bankside on tree and railings presumably posted by Henley TC which read "water levels are low beware of underwater obstructions"
WhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 12.29.39.jpgWhatsApp Image 2017-08-16 at 12.29.33.jpg

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Whatever we clobbered it was a few metres upstream of that new shuttering and two metres out. !
You will of course need to moored up to notice the "notices "and need to actually get off your boat and then to get up close enough to read the text on them. :)

Last edited:

apollo

Visit site
If there is a rock in the water i expect it to be removed or marked even with a plastic milk bottle like lobster pots.
For gawds sake man if they are crap stop sitting on the fence and say they are crap!

Mirror Painter

Visit site
oh dear, must be difficult having a big boat with so many uncharted hazards. Which part of being responsible for the safe navigation of your vessel do you find it difficult to accept?

I'm just passing through this thread but must ask, is that reply a joke between mates? Or is B1 actively trying to shed TMBA members?

oldgit

Visit site
Have yet to receive a reply from HBC in response to my email,warning of something lurking under the water on the public mooring.

miket

Visit site
Doesn't seem unreasonable that if you are being invited to pay £10 per night to park your boat, the available space is suitable for boats to moor.
Time the EA and various town councils, including Henley, got off their bureaucratic arses and provided some sort of service for the charges involved.
Same would apply to the river in general. I am close to calling time.

apollo

Visit site
Doesn't seem unreasonable that if you are being invited to pay £10 per night to park your boat, the available space is suitable for boats to moor.
Time the EA and various town councils, including Henley, got off their bureaucratic arses and provided some sort of service for the charges involved.
Same would apply to the river in general. I am close to calling time.

Isnt that what the completely pointless River Thames Alliance is for? Yeah i know..., i feel your pain Mike. This particular episode over this rock has been a complete farce, keep seeing EA posts on twitter showing them patrolling Henley Reach supposedly catching speeders whilst they could have used the launch to go and prod around for this with a boathook and at least mark it.
They should hang their head in shame.

apollo

Visit site
It's not the EA's responsibility, it's Henley TC so complain to them

Its EA responsibility to manage the waterway (according to Twitter safety is paramount) and hence they should and could easily "mark" the obstruction. They can then go and argue with HTC as to who fixes it to their hearts content..

Old Crusty

Visit site
For clarity, the EA is the navigation authority and whatever they say about safety, and you can twist that to suit your argument, it is the regulations that matter. In this case, the TCA 1932 is very clear that boaters are responsible for their vessels and riparian owners likewise for the banks and the bed. In low flows, common sense dictates that the edge of the river may be too shallow for your boat. The EA is not an emergency service that rushes out at the drop of a hat (or a lump of concrete or other obstruction) unless it impedes the fairway and threatens to close the navigation.

If you are so concerned, why not be public spirited, borrow a marker from Jonnie Hobbs and go lay it? As you claim this to be a safety issue, shoulder the collective responsibility placed on all of us under the H&S Act 1974 (if you believe that is pertinent).