Prop / Stern Gear Antifoul

Dazzajohm

Visit site
After a search I see this has been spoken about on here a fair bit but nothing all that recent.

Just wondering whether anyone has had any luck with prop antifoul. My engineer tells me the only thing that works is prop speed but for me it’s just too expensive and not worth the cost for the amount I use the boat.

There must be a happy medium surely - something that is better than nothing that doesn’t cost the earth...

Or am I’m just better to clean up all the stern gear and do nothing with it?

Cheers
D

Last edited:

Higgo

Visit site
There is a similar product to prop speed, at least down here in Aust called "Prop Gold". That was somewhat cheaper, but I've found it is just as good. That was available for retail customers where as PropSpeed was sold to "accredited applicators" at least a few years back. That's changed since PropGold came on the market. Not sure if it's available in the U.K.

I took the props off, wire ground them, and applied per instructions. I did have a couple of electric heaters (600 mm away) to help dry/bake the final coating. Two years on, the odd small oyster scrapes off easily. I do run a copper anode system which probably helps too.

I used to use the same antifoul paint on the shafts/props, but it was starting to deteriorate after 8-12 months. Certainly cheaper, but the Prop Speed/Prop Gold option is worth the cost/effort. Doing it yourself for me makes it cheaper, but it's just one of the maintenance costs you swallow with owning a boat. As a percentage of the antifoul/haulout cost, maybe 7-10% extra.

Hope this assists. Cheers

kashurst

Visit site
I like Velox -arguably not as good as Propspeed. It's easier to live with, no problems jet washing it or re-applying it.

Dazzajohm

Visit site
There is a similar product to prop speed, at least down here in Aust called "Prop Gold". That was somewhat cheaper, but I've found it is just as good. That was available for retail customers where as PropSpeed was sold to "accredited applicators" at least a few years back. That's changed since PropGold came on the market. Not sure if it's available in the U.K.

I took the props off, wire ground them, and applied per instructions. I did have a couple of electric heaters (600 mm away) to help dry/bake the final coating. Two years on, the odd small oyster scrapes off easily. I do run a copper anode system which probably helps too.

I used to use the same antifoul paint on the shafts/props, but it was starting to deteriorate after 8-12 months. Certainly cheaper, but the Prop Speed/Prop Gold option is worth the cost/effort. Doing it yourself for me makes it cheaper, but it's just one of the maintenance costs you swallow with owning a boat. As a percentage of the antifoul/haulout cost, maybe 7-10% extra.

Hope this assists. Cheers

Thanks for this. Have had a quick google but doesn’t look like it’s available over here.

Dazzajohm

Visit site
Thanks for the heads up on Velox.

What’s the score with the prep for it. I’m guessing that after the first year it’s applied, before it’s applied for the second year the old stuff will have to be taken off?

Cheers
D