Problems in Akheron River, Greece.

Visit site
My wife and I have been cruising the Ionian for nearly four years now but, this year we decided to visit places we have missed in the past.
One place was the Akheron River, South of Parga.
We know friends who have visited in the past and said it was worth the trip.
In the Heikell book, under Ormos Fanari, it says, it is possible to navigate up river and go side too on a wooden catwalk on the port side.
We navigated Seadeuced up river, after seeing two German flagged boats leaving the river mouth. We thought that there was definitely going to be a space for us.
When we arrived, there was a very large space between a German boat, and two further German boats which, were rafted.
The spot was perfect and after a beer we went up river in the Dinghy to explore.
When we arrived back there was a further German boat, this time a large motor cruiser.
The owner of the boat came up to us and told us the catwalk was private and that we could not stay the night and that we should leave.
I pointed out the fact that the book made reference to the catwalk and that it was free for anyone to use.
He then made a call and another German arrived telling us he was a hotel owner and lived in the village, and that he had paid for the pontoon and it was now private.
After some discussions of the legality of his claim he became more aggressive and at one point threatened to cut our lines. He said he needed the space for his friends who were coming back in the afternoon.
More arguments followed, but the end result was that we decided to leave as it was apparent from his reference to the mayor, that we were going to get no backing from the authorities should things turn nasty.
Has anyone had any similar experiences here or does anyone have any idea who to speak to regarding the legality of his claim.
There is no doubt that this catwalk is for the use of German boats only which, is a shame because the scenery is breathtaking and the trip up river memorable but, is now not open for everyone to enjoy.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
My wife and I have been cruising the Ionian for nearly four years now but, this year we decided to visit places we have missed in the past.
One place was the Akheron River, South of Parga.
We know friends who have visited in the past and said it was worth the trip.
In the Heikell book, under Ormos Fanari, it says, it is possible to navigate up river and go side too on a wooden catwalk on the port side.
We navigated Seadeuced up river, after seeing two German flagged boats leaving the river mouth. We thought that there was definitely going to be a space for us.
When we arrived, there was a very large space between a German boat, and two further German boats which, were rafted.
The spot was perfect and after a beer we went up river in the Dinghy to explore.
When we arrived back there was a further German boat, this time a large motor cruiser.
The owner of the boat came up to us and told us the catwalk was private and that we could not stay the night and that we should leave.
I pointed out the fact that the book made reference to the catwalk and that it was free for anyone to use.
He then made a call and another German arrived telling us he was a hotel owner and lived in the village, and that he had paid for the pontoon and it was now private.
After some discussions of the legality of his claim he became more aggressive and at one point threatened to cut our lines. He said he needed the space for his friends who were coming back in the afternoon.
More arguments followed, but the end result was that we decided to leave as it was apparent from his reference to the mayor, that we were going to get no backing from the authorities should things turn nasty.
Has anyone had any similar experiences here or does anyone have any idea who to speak to regarding the legality of his claim.
There is no doubt that this catwalk is for the use of German boats only which, is a shame because the scenery is breathtaking and the trip up river memorable but, is now not open for everyone to enjoy.

Is there a sign anywhere saying "Private". If not, I suspect you were scammed as anyone who had actually bought that catwalk would obviously erect a sign immediately.

You did the right thing as you were outnumbered and they were clearly very unpleasant but it would be great if a boat with three or four male Brits on board could moor up there. We all know what our German friends would do then. :encouragement:

Richard

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
We went up there last September and moored on the wooden catwalk. A nearby fisherman told us the space we'd taken was free. I then walked along to speak to the skipper of a German yacht. He claimed to own the catwalk, but said we were welcome to stay - which we did for 2 days.

The German probably is the owner. My experience is that he is friendly and helpful if approached in the right way.

The town is a bit of a German enclave. Don't expect the waiters to speak English!

Visit site
Thanks for the response.
There were no signs up of any kind and I'm sure we were scammed but, what can you do.
We started off in a friendly manner when the motor boat owner first came over but, things deteriorated quite quickly when the 'owner' of the catwalk arrived.
I supposed we should have guessed something was wrong as we were the only non German boat there.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Thanks for the response.
There were no signs up of any kind and I'm sure we were scammed but, what can you do.
We started off in a friendly manner when the motor boat owner first came over but, things deteriorated quite quickly when the 'owner' of the catwalk arrived.
I supposed we should have guessed something was wrong as we were the only non German boat there.

You did the right thing by leaving before it turned ugly.

If it makes you feel any better, about 30 years ago a mate and I motorcycled across Europe on our way to Turkey and we camped for a night in Northern Greece not too far from the Turkish border. The large campsite had no Brits apart from us and every other camper appeared to be German. They were very friendly and we got on well with them but we couldn't help noticing that all the signs around the campsite were in English. We were in the bar that night chatting to the Greek barman. I asked whether they had many British visitors and he said "None. You will probably be the only ones this year as the nearest international airport is a few hundred miles away". So I asked why all the camp signs were in English. He replied that in 1944 the Germans expected the Greeks to read a foreign language so it seemed fair!

Contrast that to the current Greek dependence on Frau Merkel and it looks like the wheel has gone full circle in 30 years! :)

Richard

tedgorton

Visit site
Pity you had an unpleasant experience in what is one of my favourite ports of call. We always swing in the bay and take the dinghy ashore, up the river if the wind is not too strong against the current creating dangerous overfalls, as it often is; or pull the dinghy up on the beach and walk from there. From the tavernas on the Ammoudia riverfront you can get a taxi or just a ride up to the marvellous archeological site of Nekromanteion; and my favourite taverna in the Ionian, Archipelago (well up the river) where Nikos and his wife take wonderful care of you. Trying to moor on the pontoon sounds like a game that is to worth the candle! Planning to go there next month and take a boat up the river to see what are apparently amazing birds.

Popeye & Olive

Visit site
We had the same in about 2014. Moored up took the dingy up river, came back the German owner of the once private jetty wanted €20. Informed him we didn't have any cash, went for a walk. Over a beer told the bar owner the situation and that we were leaving she was not happy but it was obvious the locals (except the mayor) are powerless and to be fair the pontoon was rebuilt well and the small bay ideal, although we carried on and explored the small harbour futher south. Where over a beer and to the bemusement of the harbour side bar owner we laid out on his beautiful lawn, the first proper grass we had seen in years.

Other threads that may be of interest