Problem with KAD32 (no power)

Portofino

Visit site
Turbo .
Check it’s oil supply both flow and temp if a oil cooler is fitted and the quality of said oil .
Wrong oil spec will destroy the bearings .........slowly @ first .

Dont be fooled into thinking it’s ok if it spins cold with your finger when the elbow is off .
If when hot it spins @70000 rpm as opposed to 95000 rpm ( or what ever ? ) that s not enough now with the extra drag from the additional 80 kgs + normal seasonal fouling .

banflu1

Visit site
to answer some of your questions, the exact same problem persisted when the "old" turbo was replaced with the reconditioned one. So a water damaged turbo is out of the question. It did not work for 1 week for example, then back to square one.

The oil and filters have been changed in August, around the time I started having problems. My mechanic used BP 15W40 same as he always uses. This did not change anything.

As Volvopaul says, the reconditioned turbo seems to be providing a little bit of boost.. just not enough. When i first installed it around September, the boat used to go up to about 3,200 rpm on full throttle. It has now gone down to 2,900 but I am blaming the hull fouling for that. I will know for sure next week (hopefully), as the diver should clean it for me on Monday.

The question is, could the fuel system be causing the turbo to not provide enough boost? I know everything points to the turbo, but I'm finding it hard to believe that a 2-3 year old turbo with less than 200 hours on it failed, and a newly reconditioned one is also faulty.

My mechanic is ruling out any type of leaks in the inlet side due to the boat working perfectly during the supercharger phase.. and I think this makes sense.

The Y connector (flap) has been checked and it looks to be working fine, there are no obstacles and it moves freely from one position to the other.

I think I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new turbo and see what happens. While I'm at it I will buy a new exhaust elbow too as my mechanic said the flange was a bit corroded but nothing serious.

Any other ideas please go ahead and shoot!

Thanks so much

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
According to my calculations based on the Vetus soundproofing specs. 180Kg means you have fitted over 11 square meters of the heaviest grade. They claimm to have lead free material in the range currently advertised..
This is a huge area so my gues iss that you have not fitted anywhere near 180Kg of barrier mat perhaps only 50Kg tops.
It seems that this may not be the problem you had assumed.
If you just fitted a reconditioned turbo it seems unlikely that this is the problem also the one removed was ok so throwing more money at another turbo sounds wrong to me. I would put my money on blocked filters.
Is there a filter in the metering unit that has been missed or somewhere else?

Gemini

Visit site
to answer some of your questions, the exact same problem persisted when the "old" turbo was replaced with the reconditioned one. So a water damaged turbo is out of the question. It did not work for 1 week for example, then back to square one.

The oil and filters have been changed in August, around the time I started having problems. My mechanic used BP 15W40 same as he always uses. This did not change anything.

As Volvopaul says, the reconditioned turbo seems to be providing a little bit of boost.. just not enough. When i first installed it around September, the boat used to go up to about 3,200 rpm on full throttle. It has now gone down to 2,900 but I am blaming the hull fouling for that. I will know for sure next week (hopefully), as the diver should clean it for me on Monday.

The question is, could the fuel system be causing the turbo to not provide enough boost? I know everything points to the turbo, but I'm finding it hard to believe that a 2-3 year old turbo with less than 200 hours on it failed, and a newly reconditioned one is also faulty.

My mechanic is ruling out any type of leaks in the inlet side due to the boat working perfectly during the supercharger phase.. and I think this makes sense.

The Y connector (flap) has been checked and it looks to be working fine, there are no obstacles and it moves freely from one position to the other.

I think I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new turbo and see what happens. While I'm at it I will buy a new exhaust elbow too as my mechanic said the flange was a bit corroded but nothing serious.

Any other ideas please go ahead and shoot!

Thanks so much
I had a similar issue but on a KAD42
Would'nt make revs went through
Normal fault diagnosis / testing
Replaced Turbo
No air leaks
Injectors serviced
Fuel and filters all fine everything looked fine and pressure where as they should be.
Last resort injector pump / unit had it serviced they found a broken spring
In the unit.

Once installed all issued resolved full RPM

banflu1

Visit site
According to my calculations based on the Vetus soundproofing specs. 180Kg means you have fitted over 11 square meters of the heaviest grade. They claimm to have lead free material in the range currently advertised..
This is a huge area so my gues iss that you have not fitted anywhere near 180Kg of barrier mat perhaps only 50Kg tops.
It seems that this may not be the problem you had assumed.
If you just fitted a reconditioned turbo it seems unlikely that this is the problem also the one removed was ok so throwing more money at another turbo sounds wrong to me. I would put my money on blocked filters.

sorry about this, I meant 80kg not 180kg.
I don’t think this should Have too large an effect? It’s like always having an extra person at the back

I had a similar issue but on a KAD42
Would'nt make revs went through
Normal fault diagnosis / testing
Replaced Turbo
No air leaks
Injectors serviced
Fuel and filters all fine everything looked fine and pressure where as they should be.
Last resort injector pump / unit had it serviced they found a broken spring
In the unit.

Once installed all issued resolved full RPM

Hi, thanks for this.
were your symptoms exactly like mine?

banflu1

Visit site
would put my money on blocked filters.

I don’t understand what yuh mean by metering unit?
As far as I know my engine only has two fuel filters - the main one on the engine and the pre filter / water strainer. These were replaced at the start of the season and again towards the end of the summer when I was having problems. No change.

Gemini

Visit site
sorry about this, I meant 80kg not 180kg.
I don’t think this should Have too large an effect? It’s like always having an extra person at the back

Hi, thanks for this.
were your symptoms exactly like mine?
Engine would slightly lag behind the other engine under acceration RPM
They would be ballanced RPM upto 2900rpm the engine that had the fault on the metering unit / injector pump /rack
Would just hang at 2900-3000rpm
And not encease

Engineer who was trying to locate the
Problem was exlperianced guy and on the ball in the sequence of fault finding but did suspect the fuel rack/ meter unit but was the last component in the process

Its frustrating trying to locate faults on mechanical engines where no fault codes are available, you just have to work your way through the systems

Gemini

Visit site
I don’t understand what yuh mean by metering unit?
As far as I know my engine only has two fuel filters - the main one on the engine and the pre filter / water strainer. These were replaced at the start of the season and again towards the end of the summer when I was having problems. No change.
Follow the fuel pipes from the injectors back to the metering unit where they connect to metering unit/ injection pump

Its on the side of the engine if you activate your throttle control the bit that moves on the engine is where the rack is.

banflu1

Visit site
When was boat last lifted and cleaned ? End of season fouling could possibly contribute to your issues.

as explained I will be getting a diver next week to clean the hull, drive and props.

Today we removed the injectors and will try to get them inspected next week. Will retest when they’re refitted and clean hull.

QBhoy

Visit site
Strange one this. Fair play with no waste hate or actuator on the turbo. Just weird that the supercharger can manage and the turbo can’t. Suggests that all is well with fuel and air, up until the turbo comes on boost. Maybe I’d be looking at the health of the turbo and bearings next.

Croftie

Visit site
Just a thought, when you did the sound proofing you didn't do such a good job as to partially seal the engine bay to the extent of reducing air flow/capacity. The SC being engine driven may be coping better than the turbo which when left to its own devices spools down from optimum speed.

You did say this all started after "During the winter time I replaced the engine soundproofing as it was all disintegrating into the engine room". What condition is the air filter?

Scubadoo

Visit site
80kg is quite a bit of extra weight in stern for a 24ft boat, that equilivent to an extra person onboard. The extra weight will change the performance characteristic of the boat and likely to feel slower getting on the plane etc, but not causing the issue described just adding to your problem. It would concern me the extra 80kg and I would consider installing something that is not so heavy. However, I have no idea what the previous sound insulation weighed, so although added 80kg, it might only be a difference of 40kg, but again still heavy for the Stern of a 24 footer.

banflu1

Visit site
Just a thought, when you did the sound proofing you didn't do such a good job as to partially seal the engine bay to the extent of reducing air flow/capacity. The SC being engine driven may be coping better than the turbo which when left to its own devices spools down from optimum speed.

You did say this all started after "During the winter time I replaced the engine soundproofing as it was all disintegrating into the engine room". What condition is the air filter?

the air filter has been replaced twice since then :) it is in new condition now.

no for sure we did Not cover any parts of the air intake or anything like that

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
I think that Croftie meant you may have restricted airflow into the engine compartment with sound deadening sheets. Recently, when investigating buying new propellers, I was advised to open a hatch to the engine compartment to check whether or not sufficient air was available to allow the engines to reach maximum revs. Is there a possibility that you have blocked off an air intake for the compartment?

banflu1

Visit site
80kg is quite a bit of extra weight in stern for a 24ft boat, that equilivent to an extra person onboard. The extra weight will change the performance characteristic of the boat and likely to feel slower getting on the plane etc, but not causing the issue described just adding to your problem. It would concern me the extra 80kg and I would consider installing something that is not so heavy. However, I have no idea what the previous sound insulation weighed, so although added 80kg, it might only be a difference of 40kg, but again still heavy for the Stern of a 24 footer.

I now agree that it was a mistake to add any amount of weight. Lack of experience on my side. But it shouldn’t have this effect.
Then again the added weight combined with a full season’s fouling.. who knows.
Now we have removed the injectors to have them serviced as a matter of course. Will refit and retest with the clean hull sometime next week hopefully.

banflu1

Visit site
So just to keep you guys updated; I got the injectors back from the Bosch workshop.. they found all injectors opening at a much lower pressure than the proper spec (around 220 bar instead of 285 bar, if I remember correctly.
They told me that one of them was stuck and may have not been working at all sometimes.
They replaced the heads and nozzles and seatings and set them to all open at the correct pressure.
Will hopefully install them this week and update again.